We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great value?!

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 1
Great value?!

I was checking the reviews of the Diamond Hawaii Resort and Spa in Wailea and everyone talked about what a great value it is. I go check the rates and the cheapest room is $285/night. It's $395/night for the time of year that I'll be travelling to Maui. HOW is this a great value? I'm mystifed. My husband and I together make well over a six figure income, and yet we would never consider paying this much for a room! I'm just curious who considers this a great value?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
reviews: 13
1. Re: Great value?!

While $395 ($285 for that matter) is more than I would ever pay for a motel room (unless, of course, I were to win the lottery!!), many of the finer resorts in Wailea are twice that much. So, if you are comparing facilities in Wailea only, it would seem $395 is a bargain..

Dennis

Minnesota
reviews: 11
2. Re: Great value?!

I have to believe that travelers willing to pay this much for a room are planning to hang out at their resort and be pampered all day. At least I would hope they will be pampered at that price! However; for travelers like myself, who plan to spend most of the time exploring the island, this seems like a lot to pay for a place we will spend little time. Maybe if we take a second trip we will want to take more time to relax and be willing to pay more for nicer accomodations.

Seattle, WA. USA
reviews: 2
3. Re: Great value?!

Keep in mind that Wailea is like the Beverly Hills of Maui (which is not a really cheap place to begin with) - very beautiful and upscale. Keep in mind that people perceptions of what constitutes an "acceptable" rate (or even what constitutes "a bargain") is largely driven by their income levels. For regular working-class folks that is indeed a lot of money, for someone with a higher income - not necessarily so.

There are plenty of folks who want to feel pampered and are more than willing (and able) to pay for it. In fact, to a surprising number of people out there, even the "high" rates of the other resorts in the area are pretty reasonable. Others, of course, feel much more comfortable paying a whole lot less. Fortunately, Maui does have options for folks who don't want to spend nearly as much - they can easily rent a condo for between $100 and $200 a night.

You want to see REALLY high prices, take a look at staying in an overwater bungalow on Bora Bora (it CAN come close to $1000 a night). That makes Wailea look cheap.

Ken

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 120
4. Re: Great value?!

Hi! I hear you on the prices (I'm from Cincinnati). Check out the mauicoasthotel.com if you are set on the southern end of Maui. If not, you can find deals on greathawaiivacations.com and Costco (or Sam's Club) travel.

washington state
reviews: 4
5. Re: Great value?!

you can do better. Keep looking, that is too much money to be that far away from the water.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
reviews: 58
6. Re: Great value?!

Do a search for something in the Kihei area. It seems to be a better value and is centerally located.

North Carolina
reviews: 1
7. Re: Great value?!

Thanks for the input, everyone! We got a condo at Valley Isle, see my post below (called Woo Hoo, I'm going to Maui, lol).