We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which airport?

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 1
which airport?

G'day,

as Maui has 2 airports - that I know of ( Kahului and Kapalua), which one should I fly into from Honolulu if I am staying on Kaanapali Beach.

Thank you.

Canada
reviews: 3
1. Re: which airport?

Kapalua is the (MUCH) closer one.

There is also a small field airport on the east side of Maui in Hana.

Lahaina, Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: which airport?

Aloha,

Kapalua is about 5 minutes from Kaanapali, there is no waiting around because it is a small airport that accepts only turbo prop airplanes. It is a nice trip over from Honolulu though and more convenient.

Kuala Lumpur...
3. Re: which airport?

The two major interisland airlines (Aloha Air and Hawaiian Air) don't fly into Kapalua (only Kahului). Fly Aloha or Hawaiian into Kahului.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 5
4. Re: which airport?

Island Air can get you from HNL to Kapalua (JHM), but:

1)Last time I checked, Rental Cars were a fair amount higher at Kapalaua (but several Kaanapali hotels still have, I think, shuttles to/from JHM),

2) If you're flying home from Maui, you'll either have a drop charge on the car, or Hefty Taxi/Van fare to get to OGG (no complimentary hotel shuttles to my knowledge).

On the plus side, Island is a little cheaper @ $60 (all offer less than $40 if you're willing to take earliest flight).

kama

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 5
5. Re: which airport?

Oops; almost forgot. Island Air is much more restrictive, than the bigger guys, on baggage weight allowance

Sydney
reviews: 1
6. Re: which airport?

Thanks guys.

I am trying to book my 10 days Maui holiday (air + condo) on-line.

Fly Hawaiian from Sydney to Honolulu.

Then fly with Island air to Kapalua. And as you're saying the airport in Kapalua is only 5 mins away from Kaanapali beach, get a taxi from the airport.

Does this sound OK to you, or will I need to hire a car to and from the airport? I was hoping to hire a car only for few days to see the island.