We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

I found a great place through a condo owner in Maui for car rentals. Below is her comments about Aloha Renta A Car.

"Regarding rental cars, we can recommend what we feel is the best value in car rentals on Maui. It is ALOHA RENT A CAR. cars@aloharentacar.com, 877 452-5642, (LOCAL – 877-4477). Jim Seekings – owner. You will be speaking with Jim, Ed, or Teri. They offer compacts, mid size and jeep wranglers. Only convertibles they have are jeep wranglers.

Their service is the best, their prices are by far the lowest and they have newer cars in excellent condition. We’ve been very pleased with them, more than any other of the major car rentals.

They are just a few minutes outside the airport which means you save BIG on all those extra airport and concession taxes that you pay when you rent through the big agencies.

When you get your luggage, you just press their call button at the airport where all the car rentals are listed and within minutes they are there to pick you up in their van.

This was a big find for us after many years of frustration with poor service (like no windshield cleaning fluid, etc.), high extra taxes, and long waiting lines.

Here are some of the features they offer:

*No $1.50 a day charge for vehicle registration fee.

*No 8% airport concession fee.

*No charge for extra drivers.

*No overtime charge if you return your car late. (other agencies charge by the hour overtime.

*For month-long stays, they give you the full 30 – 31 day calendar month, whereas the other agencies consider 28 days a month and you pay for all the remaining days.

*No charge for car seats for children.

*They can accommodate no matter what time you arrive and no matter what time you depart."

THEY MIGHT GIVE YOU A DISCOUNT AS THEY DID ME (BECAUSE I MENTIONED THE PERSON'S NAME AND THEY KNOW HER) FOR A 2002 or newer 4-door Ford Taurus for $197.00 (which includes all taxes, etc.) YOU CAN MENTION BONNIE FROM LOS ANGELES, CA TOLD YOU ABOUT THEM ON TRIPADVISOR. I'M ARRIVING ON SEPT. 1.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
reviews: 39
1. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

THEY MIGHT GIVE YOU A DISCOUNT AS THEY DID ME (BECAUSE I MENTIONED THE PERSON'S NAME AND THEY KNOW HER) FOR A 2002 or newer 4-door Ford Taurus for $197.00 >>>

with all due respect i got a better rate from thrifty----a 2005 taurus with all the taxes and fees and everything for 168.00 for a week

Kuala Lumpur...
2. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

As lougee1043 pointed out Aloha Rent a Car is not necessarily the cheapest and they do not rent new cars. I always check their rates but I have never rented from them because I always get a NEW car elswhere for less money (very often from Alamo). I doubt very much that Aloha doesn't charge for late returns. At some point (after 4, 5, 6 hours late or surely after a day late) they have to charge the customer for the extra time. All the major car rental companies give one or two hours of grace.

Even if Aloha's rates are the same as the national car rental companies, why rent a 2 or 3 year old car when you can have a current year car?

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

Actually, there are several companies that rent used cars as Aloha does. They are very lax about late returns. They are very nice but you don't always get what you think. Aloha was advertising great prices but had no cars and recommended me to another company. The car was a nightmare! The owner came out and got us himself when the engine siezed.

But for a sweet as they were, I did not travel all this way to get stuck with junk.

Really, stick with a national company and has the newest cars, shop around for price and quality. Maui roads can be rough on a tranny. It just was not worth the $100 savings.

Kihei, Hawaii
4. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

Our local rental companies are great for long term rentals, people under 25 or people without a credit card. But I could tell you the stories I have heard, and, yes, from all of the various local companies. The prices are not that much different, especially if you do your homework and shop for a good rate. If you take the national's rack rate, then, sure it will be much higher. But the peace of mind to me is worth the extra $$. You are on vacation. You worked hard for your money and your time is limited and precious. Do you want to spend it exchanging cars, waiting for someone to come get you, or bickering over your rental with the agency? I normally support local businesses, but here is one place where past history has shown me that a larger mainland company is a wiser choice. Rental cars tend to be abused, and a rental car that is 2, 3, 4 years old has usually seen a lot more ware and tear than your average car of the same age. Check out those odometers!

Some of the common complaints I have heard include:

funky smelling cars, including moldy A/C odors

electric windows/locks that don't work

manual windows that don't work

A/C does not work

no spare tire (and a flat)

no one answers or is available respond to after hours emergency; no 24 hour toll free road side service number like the big guys have

car broke, they have no replacement

the car that was reserved is not available; NO car is available

no child seats available (or they are available but they are dirty)

dirty cars

and my all-time favorite: a stray cat had kittens in the car because the back window was stuck open and the cat was able to crawl in during the night.

Los Angeles, CA
5. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

Thanks all...I will keep shopping around.

Los Angeles, CA
6. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

Thanks all...I will keep shopping around.

Los Angeles, CA
7. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

I'm glad to report that I rented a midsize car from Alamo using my Entertainment Card for a total of $166.32. Thanks All!!

South Jersey
reviews: 17
8. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

Do NOT rent from Alamo.

We rented from them in Maui and it was the worst thing we did.

My husband was down as primary driver.To add me his wife an extra $8 per day. Rented from Enterprise in San Fransico-No extra charges for husband and wife sharing a rental.

In addition-Gave Alamo the vouchers from our Travel agent when we rented the car-No problem.

Big suprise today-They charged us the full amount of the rental on the credit card. When I called I got the most unhelpful people I have ever dealt with. No the travel agent has to fax them a copy of the coucher for them to take the charge off.

Rent somewhere else-Alamo is the worst car rental company I have ever dealt with.

Pitt Meadows, Canada
reviews: 22
9. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

We always deal with Alamo and have had no problems.

Kuala Lumpur...
10. Re: Great Rental Car Co. in Maui

Every car rental company messes up at some time. This is reflected in the complaints on this forum and in other places, as complaints are not directed at only one company but seemt o spread out evenly. Periodic customer service problems are due to the nature of the car rental business - relatively low paid employees responsible for making decisions regarding very expensive vehicles, which are in in constant motion (not sitting on a shelf waiting for the consumer to pick it up) and may not be available when the customer shows up for their reservation.

Don't make a rental company selection based on one bad experience. The major car rental companies all offer similar vehicles and they all have tend to have a similar level of customer service over time. If service is repeatedly bad at one location then there may be a problem at that location but not all locations for the same company.

Therefore, the major deciding factor is usually price.