We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three-day itinerary

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee
reviews: 28
Three-day itinerary

My husband and I have only three days in Maui (arrive late Thursday night and leave Sunday evening), and I don't want to overschedule us but I want to get a flavor of Maui so we can decide if we want to come back. (I'm doing all the planning).

My husband will be traveling to Honolulu about once a month on business, so we will probably have an opportunity to come back to the islands. We have been to the other islands before--love Kauai--this is our first time in Maui.

After reading many many posts and Maui Revealed, this is my list, in no particular order:

Snorkeling (we have snorkeled in many different places--this is one of our favorite activities, so we brought our own equipment). This is a must do--the question is where since we've been spoiled by some pretty spectacular places. What is guaranteed not to disappoint?

Trip to Lahaina

Drive the coast of West Maui

Drive up to Haleakala (or be driven and bike down) but not for the sunrise. Getting up at 2 a.m. doesn't appeal to me since we're in Honolulu for several days and our time clocks will be adjusted).

Trip to Hana

Eating in two nice restaurants. Mama's Fish House, Pacific'O, Nick's Fishmarket are three that I'm considering. Or has anyone tried the new Pineapple Grill? (Eating at a good restaurant is also a favorite activity.) David Paul's also sounds great, but with only two nights, we do want a view both nights. Since our flights leave around 8:30, his back to Honolulu, mine back to the mainland, I don't think we'll have time for a nice dinner on Sunday.

Having a drink at the Hula Grill.

Hiking the Waihee Ridge Trail and having a picnic lunch at the top.

Bogie boarding.

Watching the sunset each night.

We're staying in West Maui in a Mahana condo, if that's helpful. We love seeing beautiful scenery, taking photographs, being somewhat active, and don't mind drives but don't want to be tied up in traffic. We don't enjoy lying on the beach for hours.

What I am having trouble with is figuring out which of these activities would fit into one day without feeling rushed, and what would give us a flavor of the island and make us want to come back?

I really appreciate these boards--I use them on every trip that we have taken. Maui seems to be an especially helpful board!

I promise to post a trip report when I get back.

washington state
reviews: 4
1. Re: Three-day itinerary

First of all The Mahana is a great place to stay. Enjoy the sunsets. If you only have three days I would recommend putting off Hana until another trip because it will take a whole day. Lahaina is so close to where you are staying that will be a given, have dinner and enjoy the galleries and shops. The West Maui loop drive is a good idea. Save at least one day for the beach, pack lunch and stay the whole day. Boogie board in the afternoon. Haleakala is a good idea because it won't eat up your whole day either. Definately snorkel, if you have snorkeled a lot you may like Ahihi cove in South Maui. Great place to snorkel. have fun

Portland, Oregon
2. Re: Three-day itinerary

I was going to make the same basic suggestions as Hula. I would skip Hana, focus on West Maui and enjoy the beach! Kapalua and Honolua Bay are both great snorkeling spots which are just a few miles from your condo. Hula's suggestion of Ahi-hi is great, but it is a long drive. Hang out in Lahaina in the evening = the shops are open, its cooler, and its a fun place to relax.

We love the Iao Valley/Needle, but it might be something to hold for a future trip.

washington state
3. Re: Three-day itinerary

But Chico, if they go to Ahihi then they can see where the last Lava eruption was, La Peuruse, and a little bit of the south side of the island and maybe stop to see Big Beach. it's only about a 45 minute drive. We were at La Peuruse for sunset this year, it was beautiful.

Portland, Oregon
4. Re: Three-day itinerary

I agree, I was actually thinking about that as I typed. They could even check out the shops at Wailea, though I like to snorkel in the am and then I am all salty and nasty and don't want to shop. The lava flow is surreal. Good advice, as always!

Milwaukee
reviews: 28
5. Re: Three-day itinerary

Thanks for the advice! I've definitely crossed off the road to Hana.

I'm trying to see how I can work the rest of your suggestions into three days. How much time does it take to drive up to Haleakala? How much time should I allow for the drive up the west coast of Maui with stops along the way? What about the drive south to snorkel?