We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average Car Rental Cost

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 16
Average Car Rental Cost

Hi!

I am looking into renting a car for our 12 days in Maui. (Next March) We only need a compact or econo. car. Could you please let me know what a good deal would be considered so I can compare it to some of the prices I come up with?

I was planning on first using airmiles points to rent our car but if I can get a car for cheap on my own I will do that.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
reviews: 46
1. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

this is one of the great mysteries of life -- the price i got yesterday has no bearing on the price i will get today or you will get tomorrow

the best thing you can do is to start checking the auto rental web sites for your specific dates and start keeping notes --- book the cheapest car you find for your catagory and then keep checking as march is a long way away and the prices will most likely go down at which point you rebook and cancel

canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

We found a great difference in price between some of the agencies we checked. We need a large car so it would be different for you, but when we checked with Alamo it was close to $1000 for 2 weeks at Christmas. With National it was $1400.When booked at the same time as our airfare at Hotwire it wguide as $500.It was alot lower for a compact car.

When I checked with our airmiles plan, it was going to be 7000 airmiles!!!I could purchase several airline tickets for that!

There are also coupons with the Entertainment guide if you have access to one.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
3. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

What airline can you fly anywhere for 7000 award miles?

beach725, you will pay more for March because it is high season. We paid right around $300.00 including taxes for 2 drivers for a minivan for a week in March 2008. I don't think that was a screaming deal, but pretty reasonable.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
reviews: 46
4. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

my apr suv costs 120.87 for a week

this coming nov my full size will cost 142.68 also for a week

canada
reviews: 2
5. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

lexigirl,

I am in Canada and use a mastercard(BMO) to get airmiles. A shorthaul trip is about 800 airmiles and a longhaul(mostly within canada and the US) is anywhere between 1600-2400 airmiles. If I wanted to use them to go to Hawaii or Paris, for example, it would be about 6000 or so.

Keep in mind I only earn 1 airmile for every $20 spent, so they are probably worth more than some other airmile plans.

Oregon
reviews: 16
6. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

In April, midsize at Alamo for 8 days was $114 with taxes, fees, and other charges. We had a Chevy HHR. This was through Costco and you may not have the ability to reserve through them. Usually Alamo is going to be the least expensive but not always.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
7. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

willynilly--ooooh. Okay. Thanks for explaining that. We earn 1 mile per $1.00 spent on our NWA credit card, and 1 mile for every mile flown on paid flights. The minimum to fly to to Hawaii is 35,000 miles (although it is hard to get seats for the minimum amount), the minimum for the Continental US is 25,000 miles. So that's the difference.

Morristown, New...
reviews: 18
8. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

just a side note to this question. Gasoline on Maui is the highest in the US..It was $4.30 as of Tuesday. Alamo at the airport offered us the chance to fill up there at $4.10 a gallon...and we were glad we took it. Please remember to add this cost on to your car rental figures.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 7
9. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

I rebooked our car rental reservation last week because of a very helpful post from an individual on this website. Check out Costco's website. I reserved a full-size car for 8 days for a total of $218, including all taxes and fees. Plus, I have a coupon for another $15 off and a free upgrade when I check in at the car rental counter. I wasn't a Costco member, however the money that I saved on the reservation more than covered the membership fee of $50.

To check, go to costco.com and click on travel. Then look up Budget. I chose the deal which offered a 20 percent discount, a $15 coupon and free upgrade.

Salt Lake City
reviews: 21
10. Re: Average Car Rental Cost

We just returned from eight days on Maui. Our mid-size sedan was a total of $142 and change, including all fees, etc. We rented from Advantage.

:)