We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

We have a reservation for the snorkel cruise 5/30/05 in the morning, but I have recently read it is nothing but bodies and a waste of $$$. I am not sure of the company we are booked with since this was done through our TA. I only have the name Marine Charters. Has anyone been around this time of year and give recommendation? Also, the OLL we booked traditional seating and have read about back aches. What would be my chance in cancelling the traditional and getting a front row tabel/chairs for 3? Aloha on Friday!!

Bellevue, WA
reviews: 2
1. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

If Molokini is going to be your first and only snorkel trip on Maui or Lanai, you will most likely enjoy it but it doesn't come close to being the best snorkel spot.

The water is very clear but it is crowded and the fish count and structure are not as good as other places some of which are shore dives and won't cost you a cent

If you want to do a trip, Lanai has several spots that have more coral and sea life than Molokini otherwise there are some great spots on Maui to snorkel with entry from the shore.

"Turtle Town" seems to be where ever the captains says it is and they seem to use that name for any number of sites.

I know the brochures will show Molokini with only one or two boats anchored and the water teaming with fish but that simple is not the case.

Colorado
reviews: 6
2. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

<<If Molokini is going to be your first and only snorkel trip on Maui or Lanai, you will most likely enjoy it but it doesn't come close to being the best snorkel spot. >>

You're exactly right...The fish are so so, but we were there on May 15 and while I was snorkeling around being bored, the only thing keeping me awake was the HUGE tuna I was watching and the white tip reef shark that was following him. The tuna scared me more than the shark..LOL

And seeing a large sea turtle in the water was pretty exciting. Capt Cook on the BI had more fish, but Molokini and "Turtle Town" certainly got my heart going.

colorado
3. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

We are staying on Maui only for 6 nights. My husband does not like to be bored or certainly say that was waste of $$$ for the 3 of us. Where else do you recommend we go. We will have our own jeep and are going to drive the Hana Hwy. He just loves to snorkel.

Mission Kansas
4. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

Robrienco,

We snorkeled all but one of the eight days we were in Maui but by the fifth day, we really did start to crave easy entry and a tad less wave action. ;-) so we decided to try a Molokini trip. We didnt want the big boats and food fest so we found a good deal through Maui Dive shops. If you drive to Kehei, early, they take off from a boat dock there before 7AM and arrive at Molokini 15 minutes later. It was a smooth ride and we really were there before any other boats. In fact, no one else showed up for over 60 minutes and we were back on board before the third Cattlemaran arrived. Their gear is great, the crew was funny and informed, and there were only a total of 19 passengers. They served soda and light snacks if you wanted them and we made a stop at one of the many "turtle towns" on the way back to the dock. While there we saw 5 or more turtles and spent about 30 minutes there. Total trip time was about 3 hours and the cost was only 44.00 per person. ( They let you keep the gear the rest of the day at no cost if you want to snorkel off the shore. )

Maui Dive Shop Magazine has a list of good snorkel spots right off the beachs and the directions for finding them.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!!

washington state
reviews: 4
5. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

we have enjoyed the snorkel trips we have done and have never felt like the boat was crowded, of course that could depend on the boat. check the size, what kind etc.

indy
reviews: 25
6. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

We recently took the trip to Molkini. We were on the Pride of Maui and there were alot of people...over 130. We did take the morning cruise over and the water was to rough to snorkel so we went to turtle town. No turtles, but they wanted everyone to snorkel in a certain area, and since there was well over 100 on board, you were always getting kicked. The food wasn't that great...and they limited you 1 hamburger. I still want to snorkel at Molokini so I will do it again but I will go with Trilogy the next time. We went with them to Lanai and it was great....30 people all the food you wanted...and they fed us about every 1/2 for 7 hours...I must have gained 10lbs on that trip

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

I was on the Pride of Maui and the snorkeling was fantastic. I saw several turtles, lots of big fish and tons of the pesty little black ones. There were two other boats out there, it was the middle of the day and we had plenty to eat. But there were maybe 35 of us. Sounds like your trip was packed and the grill guy had a problem keeping up.

They do have a small crew.

washington state
reviews: 4
8. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

we used friendly charters twice, the boat is the lani kai. its a large catamaran with slide, we didn't feel crowded at all. easy water access, friendly crew, deli lunch and two snorkel spots. our son got to swim with turtles both times.

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 3
9. Re: Molokini & Turtle Town Snorkel & OLL

Here is my .02 on snorkel trips. Choose a snorkel trip that you can't drive to. Molokini is fine, Turtle Town, Honolua Bay, you can drive there so don't waste your money. Have fun.