We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Evening flight

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aliso Viejo, CA
reviews: 1
Early Evening flight

Ok usualy take the 9am flight from LAX to OGG when visiting Maui. But this time, we are taking the 6pm flight, that arrives at OGG at 8:30pm. My question is how busy is the airport & car rental stands at this time of day/night?

Thanks!!

Jupiter, Florida
reviews: 4
1. Re: Early Evening flight

I think it will be busy, but just have your wife get the luggage at the baggage claim and she can meet you out on the sidewalk, while you take the shuttle and get the rental car. You can pick her up from there and head on your way to the hotel. Or maybe she can get the car and you get the luggage.

Aliso Viejo, CA
2. Re: Early Evening flight

Thats what I thought, so basicaly no differnt than if I had taken the am flight & got there at noon.

Hey any of you fellow LA area residents. My flight is at 6pm out of LAX. The wife cant get off work till 3pm at the earliest. I plan on having everything in the car & picking her up right from work (in Irvine, Main & MacArthur) then haulin a$$ up the 405 to LAX, parking, checking in/bags. Think I am pushing it or do you think I will be good? By the way this will be on a Wednesday. Any thoughts?

Jupiter, Florida
3. Re: Early Evening flight

I think you are fine. Hopefully she won't get out any later than 3pm. I know they recommend we get to the airport at least 2 hours before our flight. I know there's the carpool lane, but it's just as busy at times as the other lanes are. Just enjoy the ride, I believe you and your wife have enough time to get from Irvine to LAX.

Aliso Viejo, CA
4. Re: Early Evening flight

Yeah I think we should be ok, as long as there are not any accidents along the way to slow things up.

Jupiter, Florida
5. Re: Early Evening flight

Once you get to the airport, just check in with the porter on the sidewalk. I find that so much faster/easier than standing in line inside the airport. There may be a line with the porter, but it will definitely be shorter than the inside lines at the counter... He will take care of your tickets and checking in your baggage. It's so convenient.

seattle
6. Re: Early Evening flight

Not to scare you jr but I was headed for Texas a 6:00 am flight. Thought I had pleanty of time hit the road going to the airport at 4:00 am it's about 40 minutes from the house. There was very little traffic. Can around a bend on 405 and traffic stopped got held up for 2 hours. I think you should expect the unexpected. Not much hope if you have problems and miss your flight of getting on another as the flights tend to be full. Any chance your wife could get off work earlier?

Aliso Viejo, CA
7. Re: Early Evening flight

Well im not to concerned with checking in, as I was able to get upgraded on our flights so we will be in the 1st class line that is always shorter. Im most concerned about getting to LAX & finding parking in under 2 hours.

Jeepers - I know how that is. I am posting this because it took me an hour just to get to Huntington Beach at 10am this morning from Dana Point. No way my wife can for sure get off any sooner than 3pm. She works for a mortgage lender & its month end... Oh well guess I will just have to take my chances.

P.S. I didnt take this flight because I wanted it. AA messed up my reservations. We were originaly going to leave the next day in the am, but had to take the 6pm the day before in order to use our miles - Its a long story...

seattle
8. Re: Early Evening flight

Got ya I know the scam on the airmiles thing.

Portland, Oregon
9. Re: Early Evening flight

We are trying something new with our air miles this year. It's a little game called "make the trip home as long as possible". We leave Maui at 10 pm, fly to LAX, then to SF, then to Chico, arriving home at noon the next day. I'm crabby just thinking about it - especially since there are no upgrades! They used to let us upgrade to First class even with miles. Oh well, "Free" trip to Maui...

Aliso Viejo, CA
10. Re: Early Evening flight

Well the reason we changed our flight & added a day was because of the 1st class upgrade issue. When we were sure we could go I called up to pay the balance on my trip. I asked "will I still be able to use my miles to upgrade once I pay the balance"? Yes sir there are plenty of seats left. Then sure enough right after I forked over the $$$,,, Im sorry sir all the upgrade seats are taken on your outbound flight.... Anyhow after talking to several people at the "AAdvantage desk" I was able to leave a day early on the 6pm flight & use my miles to upgrade.