We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NM
How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

Does anyone know if it gets very hot in the luggage comp. on the aircraft. I have a prescription that can't exceed 86 degrees. I did try to contact the airline but of course they don't give a phone # on their site. Just thought I'd try posting the question here in case any of you have this info. :o)

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
1. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

There is a certain part of the luggage compartment that is temperature controlled -- this is where they keep pets if they fly.

The luggage compartment might get hot if the plane sits for a long time on the runway (think at least an hour or more) but it is more likely to be freezing b/c the outside temperature at 35K feet is something like -22 degrees celcius.

You can take any prescription on board with you ... just have it out for inspection at security.

Chicagoland
2. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

Keep it with you in its original container which states the contents, MD's name and your name. BTW, you cannot fill a prescription for any controlled substance in Hawaii without first seeing an MD in Hawaii and having it prescribed there. (An attempt to control drug abuse in Hawaii.)

NW Ohio
reviews: 83
3. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

I always put my Rx meds in my carryon. Not worth taking a chance of it not arriving if checked luggage is delayed or lost, or disappearing from unlocked checked baggage.

Washington DC...
reviews: 230
4. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

Don't ever put your medication in checked luggage--besides the heat/cold issue it could go missing for a while if your luggage is diverted. I have several meds that are temperature sensitive and I have to be careful with them even when hiking around (asthma inhaler, backpack, hot sun...). Never leave your meds in the car unless you are certain it's not in the sun.

Washington DC...
reviews: 230
5. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

Also, the only stuff you have to show at security is aerosols (like asthma inhalers) and liquids (like eye drops, Afrin, liquid-gel capules etc.) Those are in the 3 oz bottles in a quart ziploc bag... Nobody wants to see the pills and powders but those can be temp sensitive too, so carry them on.

I think if a prescription liquid is in a larger bottle they will let it on if it has the presc. label but check the TSA website www.tsa.gov to be sure---none of mine are so I am not sure about that part.

NM
6. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

Thanks for the replies! I'm still debating about whether I'm even going to bring it.

London, United...
reviews: 10
7. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

Just bring it in your hand luggage.

Never put medication in your checked luggage incase it gets lost or delayed and you need it.

8. Re: How hot does it get in the luggage compartment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 02, 2009