We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions for gacatwoman

Which Maui hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
daytona beach, FL
reviews: 9
questions for gacatwoman

Hi, since you stayed at the Mahana, how was the water there and the I keep hearing about traffic, is it bad, if so what time of day.

Also did you post a trip report somewhere?

Was wondering how your trip was, places you visited, etc. would love to hear about it.

cc1824@hotmail.com

Georgia
1. Re: questions for gacatwoman

Hi

Sorry just now seeing your questions for me. We loved the view from the Mahana but to be honest never tried to actually swim there. We sort of waded a little through the edge of it and was just about knocked off our feet :-) As far as traffic goes we never encountered any problems. When we visited Lahaina we went early in the morning and just parked and walked around looking in shops and then went on a whale watching tour with the Pacific Whale Foundation. It was a lot of fun. We got to see several and one came up pretty close and jumped up out of the water. The boats aren't allowed to get but so close to the whales( can't remember exactly how far that was), but they watch to see where the whales are and get as close as they can and there's no rules of course that the whales can come up to the boats which is what happened to us. We also went on a helicopter ride in Maui and Kauai. We loved the doors off ride in Kauai, but even though I also liked the one in Maui I don't know if I could whole heartedly recommend it to someone who's on a tight budget anyway. We did the crater-Hana tour. My husband was a little nervous driving the curvy road to Hana so since we enjoyed the Kauai heli tour so much we thought we would see Hana from the air instead. Well the crater was awesome and worth the trip for us. Being 10,000ft. up in a helicopter up above the clouds was great, but we had to stay so far off the coast on the Hana portion of the trip because of noise restrictions of some kind that we just couldn't make out a whole lot. Also the lady beside me was acting funny the whole time and I was afraid she might start having some sort of fit. She never seemed to look around and just kept holding her hands over her nose. I couldn't tell if she was scared or what :-) We also drove to Kihei. It's more sprawled out than Lahaina. We stopped and got some chicken from Kentucky Fried Chicken to have a picnic and watch the sunset there because Kihei is supposed to have the best sunsets in Maui. Unfortunately the chicken was the worst we had ever gotten from a Kentucky Fried Chicken and the sunset was sort of a bust also, but it being our 30th anniversary we were just enjoying being together in paradise.Anyhoo we had an awesome time and if you're planning on going soon I hope all goes well and you have a wonderful trip! Aloha

Georgia
2. Re: questions for gacatwoman

Oh, one more thing. If you haven't already read about it on the forum the book Maui Revealed is a awesome informative way to read about Maui. It's known on the trip advisor as the blue bible. It goes into a lot of detail about each section of the island. They describe the different beaches,activities, tours, restaurants, hotels and condos etc. If you buy their book they'll give you a password where you can go on their website and get even more info along with aerial photos of the hotels including the Mahana to show you how close they all are to the beach etc. They're a little contoversial though because they do give such honest reviews that don't always sit well with some of the locals I think and because they sometimes have mentioned going through private property to get to a waterfall or something. With all this though no one can deny that it's a wealth of information. You can find them at Borders Books and probably most any big bookstore chain. I actually checked it out of the library before I bought it just to make sure it was a good purchase. The library won't have the latest edition though so you won't be able to get on their website because they change the password with each new edition. The book also has some beautiful photos in it. So between the tripadvisor web site and Maui Revealed you can get just about all the info you need. I hope this helps and again that you have a wonderful trip.

daytona beach, FL
reviews: 9
3. Re: questions for gacatwoman

Hi, happy belated anniversary, thanks so much for the info.

I have already bought like 5 books about Maui and a Hana book. So I think we're covered on the book things, I just wanted to hear the real thing and since you had been there, well great report.

We are planning on going in December 2007 for our 20th anniversary. Just haven't figured out if were only doing 1 island or 2 and either 7 or 9 days plus 2 dyas of travel which I think is appropriate since I don't want to count a vacation day as spent travleing.

so were still working out the details, but so far we want to do the road to hana, wedding vow renewal in Makena, maui ocean center, see all the beaches, the crater, shopping so there will be plenty to do.

Thanks again, glad you had a good trip.

CC

4. Re: questions for gacatwoman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 20, 2009