We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel Tips

Lanai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 36
Snorkel Tips

Well, it may be that the shorebreaks are fierce today...or it could be that I am just a horrible snorkeler...but, I need some tips on how & where to do this effectively. I attempted to go out and see some fish this morning, but got pummeled by a wave several times and gave up.

We are at the FSMB in Lana'i. The beach at Hulopo'e Bay is gorgeous! We can't really tell where to start out...and with our gear on/off. Do we put our fins on first, then walk like high-steppers out to the water? Is the best snorkeling all the way to the left (near the camp sites)? Or should we stick near the resort on the right?

This place is amazing! I can't wait to get this snorkel thing down so I can explore some more! Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
1. Re: Snorkel Tips

Put on your mask and snorkel, and carry your fins out past the shore break. Float and put your fins on. You may have to put your head in the water and use your snorkel. To get out, reverse the process. Take your fins off so you can walk out.

Some advocate putting fins on at the water's edge and backing into the water. I don't like turning my back to the waves.

Lanai City, HI
reviews: 2
2. Re: Snorkel Tips

Aloha "naturecat" and welcome to Lana'i!

I agree with pzp's tip to never turn your back on the ocean--carry your fins out past the shorebreak and put them on while floating. It will feel awkward at first, but you'll get the hang of it. You may notice snorkelers from the Trilogy excursions on the far end of the beach--that's where the best snorkeling is found.

I don't know if you've had a chance to ride the shuttle to visit our little town--I think you'd enjoy seeing our art gallery on 7th Street and Dole Park as well as the other "mom and pop" gift stores and boutiques around the square. Judging from your screen name, you may be a "cat person"...if so, you can get your cat-fix at the gallery, too (I'll feed 5 or 6 "cruise-by" kitties as well "Bugs", our gallery cat, when I open the doors this morning)

Enjoy your time here--hope you agree that you've found "paradise without the crowds!"

Mike

Near Chicago
reviews: 32
3. Re: Snorkel Tips

Hi Naturecat! I can't wait to read your trip report--

I learned our our first snorkel outing to put on my mask and snorkel, walk out in the water with fins in hand and like the above posters said, lean forward, put your face in the water and then put on your fins. Then you can just float away.

Seems simple, but I would have never thought of that on my own!

SoCAL
reviews: 47
4. Re: Snorkel Tips

Snorkeling can be tricky. If you have a beach, though, you should be ok.

1. Walk to water line and put that de-fogger soap goop in the mask , rinse, and get your mask on nice and good.

2. Do as others say, get yourself in safely to beyond the breakers, keep the fins tight in your grasp. With your mask on, one less thing to worry about.

3. Then float and put your fins on. May help to have another buddy who can hold one of your fins while you're putting the first one on and then you can help them.

4. away you float.

We watched a couple who didn't know what they were doing put their fins and gear on then walk across the beach and walk in backwards once -- on Maui -- and of course the wave coming in knocked her over a good one...so, NEVER turn your back to the ocean. The funniest part was other people watched them and thought that must be the "right" way to go in snorkeling so like lemmings they followed suit...the right way is the safest not what others you see are doing! :-) !

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
5. Re: Snorkel Tips

I learned the fin trick by watching divers get in from shore.

Easier to put your defog goop and smear it around before leaving your towel. Saves carrying it. incidentally, water and baby shampoo 3:1 works better than any goop I've ever tried. Goes on easier and comes off easier. I've got a travel size shampoo and a mini sprayer - got 'em in Walmart or some drugstore or other. You may have to search.

If you're at all worried about floating out over your head (where the best snorkeling tends to be), spend a few dollars on a noodle to hold or lie on while snorkeling.

Near Chicago
reviews: 32
6. Re: Snorkel Tips

pzp--thanks for the ratio for baby-shampoo & water! I was just thinking about that. They guy who taught us the "fins in the water" trick told us that baby shampoo works better than the defogger goop, and is much cheaper, but I couldn't remember the mixture. And thanks for the spray bottle tip too!

7. Re: Snorkel Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 20, 2009