We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 5
Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Larry Ellison (owner of 95+% of Lanai) was interviewed on CNBC yesterday. Most of the conversation pertained to Oracle Corp., but if you scroll down about 75% of the linked page, you will find a brief (however, more info than I've been able to locate in recent months) outline of his plans for the Island: including total solar for electricity, electric cars,desalinization of much of the water supply, comprehensive organic farming featuring drip irrigation with a goal of exporting produce and support of residents desiring to start businesses.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49264980

There are numerous video clips of the interview; including this one that includes aerial shots of the Island, but it stops just short of including his comments on Lana'i...perhaps later today.

video.cnbc.com/gallery/…

P.S. In searching for back-up to the preceeding links, I stumbled across this summary: http://www.cnbc.com/id/49265334

Edited: 9:48 am, October 03, 2012
Maryland
reviews: 8
1. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Thanks for the info! This is really fascinating, as it sounds as though sustainability and employment for residents are key foci for him.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
2. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

I saw that in this morning's Advertiser. Seemed to me like the residents of Lanai are going to be used as some kind of experiment. Clicking on Beaches last link pretty much proved it!!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
3. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Sounds interesting and should provide some kind of real future for the island and the residents. I say bravo Larry...good for you.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
reviews: 6
4. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Aloha,

PBN has some of the same info, but I like the quotes that they pulled out too:

bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/2012/10/oracles…

I wish him the best--Lana'i needs a sustainable model to survive, and to thrive. The residents need employment and if Ellison is successful, so are they.

Albuquerque, New...
5. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

So far, it appears that Ellison is adopting a slow-paced/low-key extremely environmentally friendly approach to Lana'i; in sharp contrast to his customary "serve & charge the net" reputation. Accepting his comments at face value, I'm relieved that rumors of his desire to develop the Island into an enclave restricted to the ultra-rich appear unfounded.

It's truncated by anchor interruptions, but the only Lana'i dedicated video of Ellison's CNBC comments I've found are from the NBC Hawaii affiliate: hawaiinewsnow.com/story/19710769/oracle-ceo-…

Laguna Niguel...
6. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

When I was on Lana'i last week, the unscientific poll I took indicated that people are pleasantly surprised by what he's already done.

He's re-opening the municipal pool and gym.

He's also been hiring additional staff at both hotels to improve service.

I hadn't heard about the other programs around wind energy and the like, but those sound like more evidence that he's sincerely interested in the "health" of the island.

Chicagoland
7. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Thanks for the alert. Sounds encouraging.

Lanai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 36
8. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Yes, quite encouraging. I like the comments regarding solar. Just waiting for him to say a definitive "No" to the Big Wind proposal. We are still... cautiously optimistic.

Albuquerque, New...
9. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

I've found several articles confirming the linked; all dated back in late June to mid August period (and not seeing, but could have missed, anything more recent that contradicts), strongly suggesting the David Murdock retained the rights to development of the Wind Farm as a condition of sale. As an example, refer to page one/scroll down about half-way/ the final paragraph of "What is Ellison buying":

sfgate.com/business/…page-1

However, the most recent analysis suggests that the project might be on a much smaller scale than originally planned:

civilbeat.com/articles/…

Nothing more than a long distance (in terms of miles & moola) imo, but Murdock, having retained a home on Lana'i, might eventually decide that drop kicking the Wind Farm project would greatly improve his odds of being on the receiving end of "Spirit of Aloha"...and lessen the chances of someone throwing rocks at his private jet.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
reviews: 6
10. Re: Larry Ellison's plans for Lana'i

Aloha,

Yes, Beaches-Murdock retained the rights to the wind farm land and project.