We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

We are two twenty-something adults taking a 7 day trip to Kauai in February. I posted my first try at an itinerary a week ago. Taking everyone’s suggestions into account, I’ve come up with a revised itinerary. Any suggestion on this one?

FRIDAY - Arrive in Kauai at 6:30 pm. Get the Jeep, check into condo (Poipu Makai in Poipu), run errands, and purchase groceries.

SATURDAY - As some TA posters suggested, we’ll probably be up early this day while adjusting to the time zone. To take advantage of this, we’ll try and take a trip up to the North Shore (weather permitting) to hike Kalalau Trail in the morning. ***Is it worth the extra couple hours to hike to Hanakoa Falls? After hiking, we’ll spend some time on the north shore beaches and try to see the sunset from Ke’e Beach. ***Any suggestions for a good casual dinner on the north (we’ll be dirty and sweaty)?

If the weather doesn’t cooperate, we’ll stay on the south and snorkel at Poipu Beach and hike near Mahaulepu Beach. Then, in the afternoon, take a trip to near Lihue to see Wailue and Opaeka'a Falls including lunch at Hamura's Saimin.

SUNDAY - 8:00am, Inter-island helicopter tour with a waterfall landing in the morning. After the helicopter ride, we’ll drive up to Waimea Canyon to hike (Awa-‘awapuhi Trail, the Cliff Trail to Waipo'o Falls, or the Pihea Trail). Try to get to Polihale Beach for the sunset. Dinner at Pomodoro.

MONDAY – Travel to the North Shore if weather permits. On the north shore, we’d like to visit: Tunnels Beach, Lumahai Beach, Secret Beach, Hanalei Bay Beach, Queens Bath, Haena Beach, and the Kiluaea Lighthouse.

*** We won’t try to see all of these in one day. Any suggestions on what we must see first? Any suggestions for a nice dinner spot that doesn’t require reservations since the trip to the North Shore will be weather permitting?

TUESDAY – Stay on the South Shore snorkeling and relaxing. Holo Holo Sunset Cruise in the afternoon.***Not reserved yet.

WEDNESDAY – Drive up to Waimea Canyon in the morning to hike (Awa-‘awapuhi Trail, the Cliff Trail to Waipo'o Falls, or the Pihea Trail). A sunset dinner at The Beach House at 5:30pm.

THURSDAY - Travel to the North Shore again if weather permits. We’ll try and get to anything we missed on Monday.

FRIDAY - Open for anything we decide. Fly home at night.

As suggested by TA posters, I plan on keeping our itinerary as flexible as possible so we can follow the sun!!!!

*** The hikes we’d like to do in Waimea Canyon are the Awa-‘awapuhi Trail, the Cliff Trail to Waipo'o Falls, and the Pihea Trail. Will we be able to hike these in February?

*** We want to go on the Holo Holo Sunset Cruise. Any suggestion on what night we should book this, and how early we should reserve?

*** When we’re on the north shore, we’d like to visit the following beaches and attractions: Tunnels Beach, Lumahai Beach, Secret Beach, Hanalei Bay Beach, Queens Bath, Haena Beach, Kiluaea Lighthouse. Are we missing anything? Anything we should skip?

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 8
1. Re: Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

Boston,

Wow !! You have done some research, and have a great visit planned. can, we come with ?

However, just a couple of things to keep you safe.

The north shore beaches are experiencing some fairly high surf,

20 foot faces yesterday. Many rescues from Anini to Ke'e day before yesterday. Not safe to be negleting those high surf situations, as well as possible strong currents.

Stay clear of Queens Bath, very dangerous with these northerly swells.

So, you might want to be extremely cautious about snorkeling, swimming, or standing on the rocks at the north shore, as well as the east shore beaches. sun bathing and enjoying the beautiful areas is just fine.

Not trying to scare the dickens out of you, but in the winter, with the large swells, it can be extremely risky at the north shore beaches.

South Shore should be just fine. Good snorkeling, calm seas.

HIking the Awa awa puhi, cliffs, nualolol loop. Check the trail conditions with the people at the Kokee museum. Can be muddy,and slippery on the cliffs and nualolo trail, with a steep drop off of a few thousand feet. Hiking boots are a good idea.

Just hiking the awa awa puhi, to the vista and back, might be a bit muddy, but no biggie. Eight miles R/T. Down hill to vista, so you know that it will be all uphill back to the car park. Wide, beautiful, and no drop offs. Pihea trail : MIght encounter some muddy areas, but it is pretthy easy, with killer views of the Kalalau Valley....go early.

My reward after hiking is a locally brewed micro beer, and lunch down at the Waimea Brewery at the Waimea Plantation Cottages resort.

Hiking the kalalau Trail: I believe you are refering to the Hanakapiai trail. First two miles of the Kalalau.

That trail should be ok, but probably rather muddy. Also, check the stream that you will be crossing just as you get to Hanakapiai beach. We have never had a problem, but just look at the conditions. Good strong footwear, boots or strong tennis shoes, since the trail will be rocky and muddy. Easy to twist an anke. Although, I have seen young surfers running it bare footed, and tourists in flip flops....well, you will see for yourself.

The Kalalau needs a permit, and they are not issuing those at this time due to the rains, and unsafe conditions. From Hankapiai beach, along the napali cliffs to the Kalalau valley. Closed off.

No permit needed for the hanakapiai or on to the waterfall.

Have not hiked to the waterfall. So, others can help you out with that.

But it sounds pretty darned nice, from the reports.

After Hanakapiai, you can walk across to Kee beach, and they have spiggots to wash off the mud, shoes,, ankles, legs, etc.,outdoor at the restrooms.

While up on the north shore, should the beaches be too rough, please do not take any chances. Just in case, a couple of ideas.

1. Tour the Limahuli Botanical Gardens. Guided tour needs reservations and that is really the way to go. We have done both the guided and self tours. Very nice. Between Tunnels and the Ke'e on the mauka side.

2. Kayak Kauai: Just rent a double kayak, and paddle up the Hanalei river. Amd maybe out into Hanalei Bay. Easy stuff, and on a clear day, you should see the falls of Mt. Waialeale in the distance. Makai side, east end of Hanalei Town. No reservations required.

Just a couple of back ups in case you dont spend as much time at the beaches as you have planned.

YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE AN ABSOLUTE BALL....let us know how it all went, with that much anticipated trip report.

mahalo

Denny

Boston, MA
2. Re: Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

Denny,

Thanks for the tips. I understand about rough seas on the north shore. We plan on just enjoying the beauty of these beaches with a bit of strolling and sunbathing, no swimming.

The kayaking idea is a good back up.

We will be bringing good hiking boots, so that should help with the muddy trails.

I will fill everyone in with a trip report when we return of course.

Victoria, British...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

Just my own take on your itinerary Boston; but by the looks of it you're going to be driving alot. Particularly by going to the North Shore three times. Each time is about an hour and a half or more each way, depending on traffic and weather.

Sightseeing is fine, but spending a good portion of your valuable vacation time in a car is not too relaxing.

I would spend the Saturday exploring in and around Poipu, and maybe do some snorkling, then venture up to the Waimea Canyon on the next day.

If the weather holds, travel North on the third day.

Kauai doesn't appear to be too large, and it isn't, but there is only one road that goes nearly around the island, with a number of one lane bridges to the North Shore. The speed limit is 50 MPH and often as little as 20 MPH in residential areas, and the local police love catching lead footed tourists. So be careful.

Often where you are is the best place to be, so take the time to relax and enjoy the stunning scenery.

Boston, MA
4. Re: Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

Good advise scrumpy. I think we'll limit the trips to the North Shore to 2.

NM
5. Re: Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

May I suggest Moloa'a Beach. You are too young to have watched Gilligan's Island but the pilot was filmed here and it is a beautiful place.

We ate at Polynesia Cafe in Hanalei after hiking and snorkeling the north and the dining was outside so it didn't matter that we were dirty. The food was great just slow service and we were very hungry as we waited til 2:00 to eat after starting our hike at 6:30am.

We also did Polihale at sunset on our last day since our plane left at 10:40 pm. It was quite a trek but we also came from north and did the canyon first. (See my trip report for more).

You will certainly have a great time! I wish I was going with you!!:)

6. Re: Itinerary: Revised and Expanded. What do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 26, 2009