Up Sat morning @3am EST, arrived in HNL with no hiccups and a few hours of grabbed sleep @2pm local time. Picked up by my sis and her partner who live in Honolulu to visit for a few hours while waiting for our 7:30 HA flight to LIH. Drove around Kakaako where my sister has her business, saw a lot of the street art and popups of this growing area since last time we visited a couple of years ago. Pretty cool. Then drinks and pupus at La Mariana Sailing Club, which my wife and I have wanted to check out for a long time. Pretty cool kitschy tiki decor, drinks (Tropical Itch for me) were awesome, pupus okay, otherwise not much going on there late afternoon. Back to airport for late flight to LIH.
Flight was 1/2 hour delayed, so by time we got into LIH and got our rental, it was close to 9pm. Dog-tired we made it up to HBR by 10pm, checked in to our unit, unpacked a few essentials and promptly crashed. My SIL and her husband had arrived earlier in the day from Philly, staying in our other unit, but they were alread crashed so we didn't bother them when we arrived.
Sunday, yesterday, morning kind of misty drizzly. I ducked out early to Foodland to pickup coffee, OJ, and some muffins. Darn, but they were all out of leis for mother's day. Drove down to Hanalei, but couldn't find any there either. So, back to condo, wife was just waking up. Met up with SIL and her husband, to Nanea for terrific Mother Day brunch! Mimosas and bloody mary's were awesome and entire spread was just great, even better than last year. Ran into sous chef on our way out and complimented him.
Back to HBR to rent chairs and snorkel gear for in-laws (we bring our own). Lorraine and John no longer run the watersports kiosk, it's a dive shop - I think Kauai Down Under? Anyway prices have gone up and was a little shocked. But convenience triumphed, but will keep it in mind for next time. Called Fathom Five to checkin for my Mon morning Tunnels dive, and said surf is up and increasing to 6-8ft by Mon, so was cancelled. Rescheduled dive for Wed morning, have Na Pali Cat Tues morning- hope conditions calm down enough for both. Checked kauaiexplorer and it surf looks iffy. So, after renting gear we accepted that we probably weren't going to snorkel North Shore due to the conditions. Decided to head out to Ke'e anyway around 2pm, still pretty drizzly but patches of blue here and there. Both Tunnels pullouts were jamming, Haena looked like some parking available, surf was rocking, but continued on to end. Parked in the overflow lot and plopped ourselves down in a shady spot at Ke'e. Some people were snorkeling but definitely rougher conditions than I would like. Hung out for a couple of hours, as lifeguards were wrapping up their shift they gave some very acute warnings to those remaining in the water about staying safe. Walked back to car and noticed that the cave closest to Ke'e is now completely cordoned off with "Danger Falling Rocks" and "Leave this Area Immediately" signs. Tooks some photos, but wondering if some incident during past year precipitated (pun intended) this?
Started heading back to HBR debating what we were going to do for dinner when decision was made for us. Got just past Wainiha when traffic was completely stopped. Apparently a really bad accident somewhere around Lumahai with all sorts of emergency personnel, road closed and traffic backed up for miles in either direction. After idling for 15 mins and chatting to others in the line, followed the example of a couple of others. There was a scenic pullout about .1mile up on the left, so got into the left lane with flashers on, pulled in and turned around. Headed back to a mostly empty Med Gourmet for drinks and pupus. Needless to say a lot of the reservations for Mothers Day dinner never showed and they had about 3-4 staff that couldn't make it in. By the time we wrapped up and heeded back "home" the traffic was clear.
Woke up this morning to pretty steady rain, checking the surf report and think we will head south, but not sure even that will be clear. Wife canceled her morning golf, and with my diving canceled we are free to decide the day. First stop will be to stock up on some more essentials that we didn't have time for. After that, not sure where we'll head. If anyone has good weather on the South side let us know!!