We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reason(s) not to stay at these places?

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ames, Iowa
reason(s) not to stay at these places?

I've narrow my stay down to these:

Aston Islander On The Beach

Kauai Inn

Kauai Beach Resort

Garden Island Inn

Plantation Hale

Can you tell my why you wouldn't stay at some/all of those? Where would you stay if you had to choose from those?

Thanks.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 44
1. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

Well, it looks like they are all on the east side. I'm not a fan of that area. I know some folks like to stay there since it's "central" to south and north shores. But I personally prefer either Poipu or the north shore. If you are looking for budget accomodations, please let us know what you nightly budget is and when you plan to visit. My husband stays in Poipu in a 2 bedroom on his business trips (3x a year) for about $100/night, maybe less depending on the deals he finds. There are also budget friendly places in Princeville.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
2. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

The beaches are not that great. Can be too rough for swimming or snorkeling.

I also don't like staying in the east side. It's in the middle yet neither here nor there.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 97
3. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

Better question is why you choose them? All on East side. When is your stay, how long and how many people?

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
4. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The only one of these that I truly like for a long stay (longer than one night) is the Kaua'i Inn....it is located in a quiet residential neighborhood closeby Kalapaki Bay and has a lot of history behind it....it has been remodeled and is a lovely little "old Hawai'i" place to stay. It has tons of charm.

http://www.kauaiinn.com/

If you want to stay on the East Side and with the choices you've given....that would certainly be my pick.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
5. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

I stayed at Kauai Beach Resort and liked it. Nice place, good bar, and easy access to north and south. Beach is no good, though.

Phoenix, Arizona
6. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

Our first trip we stayed in that area and I remember we had to drive every evening to catch the beautiful sunsets.......... lots of traffic also.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
7. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

I like the east side. I'd choose either Islander, which is close to town, or Kaua`i Beach Resort, which is nice but not within walking distance to anything. Both are "mainstream" resorts. Kaua`i Inn is a little, local-kine property, very nice and inexpensive. Near a good beach, shops and restaurants but a bit of a walk. Garden Island Inn is also inexpensive and is just a few minutes walk from the same beach, shops and restaurants. I have no experience with Plantation Hale except that it's right on a fairly busy street.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
8. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

We spent a week at Kauai Beach Resort a couple of years ago, nice resort but you do need to drive to get anywhere. The beach is good only for sitting and walking. we got up each morn and watched the sunrise. As I recall it had a full kitchen. and very nice grounds

We spent one night at Garden Island Inn last fall after 4 nights at Poipu, mostly to save air fare, Kalapaki Beach is a short walk and much better beach than at KBR. They had boogey boards in lobby which my wife used on beach. Very enjoyable afternoon and evening, but not sure I would want to spend a week there. limited kitchen and small room

Normally when we go to Kauai we go to Poipu

Edited: 7:38 pm, April 04, 2013
Minneapolis...
9. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

My husband just stayed at the Garden recently for business. He said it was clean and comfortable with a friendly staff and interesting garden. Inexpensive and locally owned I believe. He thanked his travel agent (me) for finding it. It was nice not to have the resort and cleaning fees for a short stay, as well as avoiding "corporate" style. Nothing wrong with that - but sometimes we want to stay in a place that is more reflective of the local ambience, especially on vacation.

santa rosa...
10. Re: reason(s) not to stay at these places?

If you're looking for a hotel 'd choose either the Kauai Inn or the Kauai Beach Resort, but for different reasons as they're very different places. If you're looking for a condo type room then Aston Islander on the Beach. In either case my first choice would be the Kauai Inn.

The Kauai Inn because it's a retro style, old school type Kauai hotel that doesn't try to be a flashy resort. It has a lot of history to it and is nestled in at the base of the Ha'upu range near Nawiliwili. Still, you can walk over to Kalapaki Beach and the shops and restaurants there. The Kauai Beach Resort is in the category of a nice , modern resort hotel yet the access to it off of a busy highway and not much to walk to.

Garden Island Inn doesn't appeal to me in any way and has no pool. Only saving grace is it's proximity to Kalapaki Beach.

Plantation Hale - an outdated motel type place in a busy area.