We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Anini Beach safe

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 14
Is Anini Beach safe

in December? Thanks

Rebecca

Wild, Wild West
reviews: 5
1. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

Can't help a ton since we were there in April but it was so calm that it was almost like a bay. There is a huge reef a few 100 yards off shore that breaks up the surf long before it reaches the shore.

I will tell you that we were told that the waters get rougher as you go north during the winter months. For example, we were told Hideaways Beach (our favorite) didn't exist in the winter due to high surf. It was way up north near Princeville.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
2. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

Anini should be safe if you stay well away from the reef and the channel through it. If there are very large breakers on the reef you may want to avoid swimming. In any case it will probably be VERY wind, blowing from the east or northeast. It usually worsens after noon.

Hot Springs Vlg., AR
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 58
3. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

Hi --

We have been there a bunch in December and January. Never had any problem at all. Just stay away from the channel through the reef. Close into shore it is usually like glass, especially in the mornings.

Kimocat

Edmonton, Canada
4. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

Thank you!

Kauai, Hawaii
reviews: 12
5. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

mzmmom - I have gone to Anini many times, all year 'round. Anini is my favorite for shade trees (or not) and long stretches of beach with knee-to-thigh high clear calm water. I stay close-in, however, not way out to the reefs. If you really want to feel secure in December, depending on the weather day to day, Lydgate Park offers tremendous safety. It is rock wall lined swimming area that protects you from direct exposure to wave activity.

Edmonton, Canada
6. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

Thank you!

Kauai, Hawaii
reviews: 12
7. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

mzmmom...something I forgot to say in my post. I always drive approximately 2 miles beyond the campground at Anini Beach, through an area of residences and rental cottages until the road deadends at a small water (river or creek) outlet to the ocean. Unlike the campground, however, there are no picnic tables or toilets. I just work out of a chill chest in my trunk to do lunch. I don't like to advertise it but that portion of Anini Beach is very quiet, tree-lined, shallow and calm. Always a couple folks strolling or wading, but especially sifting through the sand on their hands and knees looking for the tiny Niihau (pronounced knee-e-how) shell. Be sure to stop by a jewelry store to see the incredibly beautiful Niihau necklaces.

Edmonton, Canada
8. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

Thanks!!

Huntington Beach, CA
reviews: 1
9. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

Aloha!

I was there in November, and it was beautiful. I just got back and it was like glass. Never crowded, always beautiful. And well protected by an offshore reef.

Another poster said to drive past the camp grounds to where the road ends at a stream ~~ I agree. This is what I think of when I think of what Hawaii should be. You will think you've died and gone to Heaven, in my opinion.

10. Re: Is Anini Beach safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 15, 2009