We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

Just starting to think about our first trip to Kauai in 12 years. My wife will attend a conference 1/2 day each day for 5 days, and would then like to see something different in the way of scenery. We did see quite a bit last time (Waimea Canyon, Hanalei Bay), in a quick visit, staying near Kapaa or Lihue (just recall it was a Holiday Inn, which may ahve change ownership0. Thought of Princeville, but selections there seem expensive. What about Kapaa? A lot bisier area? We do plan on going to the Big Island afterwards.

Princeville, Hawaii
reviews: 12
1. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

How expensive is too expensive or better what is your budget for lodging?

California
reviews: 89
2. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

What was the Holiday Inn is now Kauai Beach Resort in Lihue I think. Wasn't it called Holiday Inn Sunspree or something like that?!

I would take the North Shore over Kapaa or Lihue any day. Kapaa is so busy and not attractive to me. If you just want 2 days then its fine. There's options like Courtyard by Marriott. Guests of mine stayed there for 2 days this week and they upgraded them to a nice oceanview unit and they enjoyed it, but the ocean out back is way too rough for enjoyment. I stayed there one night and it was fine! Its a step above the old Holiday Inn.

The options in Princeville are the very expensive St Regis plus Westin and Hanalei Bay Resort (rent through a private owner only) if you want a more resorty feel (nice pools etc) or there are some great condos where you don't have to sell your first born to stay there.

In Hanalei there are nice cottages close to the beach. It kind of depends on when you are going and how much you want to spend. St Regis runs about $500+ a night and HBR starts at around $125-250 depending on size of unit. I'm not sure what Westin is charging now for a studio.

If it were me, I would stay opposite of where I have been staying during the conference.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 46
3. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

I would also head north. We can make some recommendations if you give us an idea on budget.

We often stay at Hanalei Colony Resort in Haena (about 20 minutes past Hanalei) for 2-3 nights. We love this location and it's close to the great beaches on the north shore. It's a great contract to staying in Poipu. They have raised their prices over the past 2 years but you can get a nice garden view for $220 night, depending on when you are coming. I've found that my travel agent can also get about 10% discount on units at HCR. The entire complex sits right on the ocean and the views are fabulous (though the beach is often windy and too rough to swim). There's also a fabulous restaurant onsite, The Mediterranean Gourmet.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

http://www.kauaimedgourmet.com/

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
4. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

I meant to say "contrast" to Poipu.....

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
5. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

You can also check out Hanalei Bay Resort. They have some nice hotel rooms (rent directly from the owner). Not sure when you are coming but 4221 is very nice.

summitpacificinc.com/hanalei-bay-resort-room…

This unit offered by Parrish (a very reputable agency on the island) also looks very nice.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/hbr9306/

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 41
6. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

Jebett, I think you're mistaken. What was the Holiday Inn Sunspree is now Aloha Beach Resort in Wailua. Kaua`i Beach Resort was a Hilton, as I recall, and is much nicer.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
7. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

How long is your stay on Kauai after the 5 day conference? Is it just 2-3 days? Would you be getting conference rates before or after your stay? When we go to Hyatt's for conferences, they usually extend the special price around a week. Maybe it would be worth it to stay put and drive to the north shore a couple days. Is the buffet breakfast included in your Hyatt room rate?

Our last visit we split our stay at the Hyatt and then moved up to the St. Regis. for 3 nights.

Do you have any Gold Passport points from past Hyatt stays, or other hotel reward packages to use for extra nights from Marriott or Starwood?

San Diego...
reviews: 44
8. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

Without a $$ figure it's hard to make a suggestion. No question the east side is more budget oriented especially if you want a hotel vs. a condo.

Do avoid that Holiday Inn which is now the ALoha Beach Resort. It's pretty tired looking. The Courtyard by Marriott and Islander on the Beach would be better choices at the more moderate price scale. Or the Kauai Beach Resort which has had a string of names over the last 20 years. Now managed by Aqua I believe.

santa rosa...
9. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

I agree. Avoid the Aloha Beach Resort (which used to be the Holiday Inn Sunspree). What a letdown that place would be after the Grand Hyatt.

What time of year are you coming? (did I miss that?). I'd strongly recommend the north shore for more of a contrast to the south shore. I was going to recommend trying a condo but if you don't have much time left it may not be worth it, consdiering minimum stays required, security deposits, etc., etc.

I also agree with Canative. If you don't have that much time it might benefit you to stay put at the Hyatt and do day trips from there.

California
reviews: 89
10. Re: After Grand Hyatt, where on Kauai?

Oh thanks pzp! I guess I was confused and thought Aloha Beach (*ugh) used to be called something else. I have stayed at ABR and it was extremely dated. Dave is correct that if you choose this location Courtyard By Marriott would be a step up but a BIG step down from The beautiful Grand Hyatt.