We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping "centers" near Poipu

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
reviews: 5
Shopping "centers" near Poipu

Can somebody please help me sort this out? There are 2-3 little shopping villages/areas near Poipu, right? Wondering the name of each and just a little summary of what I can find at each (shops and restaurants) and possible the best web link for each, if there is one?

And if it wouldn't be too much trouble, explaining where each one is in relation to Poipu Beach.

Thank you so much, planning trips these days has never been easier with TA!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
1. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I have lived here in the Poʻipū area for 15 years now - we don't have any "shopping centres" (only one of those on island in Līhuʻe at Kukui Grove) - but the areas around here with small shopping and eating areas are:

Po'ipu Shopping Village - on Poʻipū Road. Lots of visitor type shops, Starbucks, an expensive sundries type store and places such as Puka Dogs, Tropical Burgers, Roy's and Keoki's Paradise to eat. Also a gelato place.

Kukui'ula Shopping Village - newer and more upscale with high end shops, a "deli" called Living Foods, a hotdog place called Dude Dogs, Savage Shrimp, Uncles Shave Ice, Lapperts Ice Cream and Coffee and Bubba Burgers.

It also has some fancy restaurants such as Tortilla Republic, Merrimans, and Josselins Tapas.....lots of little shops as well.

This shopping village is very popular with visitors and also hosts a culinary "market" on Wednesdays.

Old Koloa Town.....this is actually the only "town" around here and since Poʻipū is just an area within Koloa, it has grocery stores as well as shops, the post office and some eateries.

I'm sure others will have recommendations for you to various spots here in the Poʻipū area.....this will get you started!

Malama Pono,

Janet

california
2. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

Thank you Janet! I know you don't have any shopping centers, hence the quotation marks...didn't know how else to word the little areas with shops and such! ;-)

I appreciate your time!

Are any of the areas you listed above in walking distance from Poipu Beach park?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
3. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Poʻipū Shopping Village certainly is and if you don't mind more of a walk, so is Kukui'ula Shopping Village.

Old Koloa Town not - about 2 miles but also no shoulder to speak of for most of the time to walk safely on. Drive there.

Malama Pono,

Janet

San Diego...
reviews: 42
4. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

http://maps.yahoo.com/#q1=Poipu+Beach+Park%2C+Koloa%2C+HI+96756&q2=Koloa%2C+HI&lat=21.884319018600134&lon=-159.45895671844482&zoom=15&mvt=m&trf=0&w0=21.883459%2C-159.467987

If you cut and paste that link, you should get a yahoo map. or just put Poipu Beach Park and Koloa in a map offering directions and you'll see the picture of the area.

The Poipu Shopping Village (it's a shopping center where I come from) is right at the road to the Kiahuna Golf Course on Poipu Road.

The Kukiuiula Shopping Village (it's a shopping center by any reasonable definition as well) is at the round about where Poipu Road hits Lawai Road.

Walking the rest of the way to Koloa (3 miles total) would not be a lot of fun IMO along the main road. There is a walking trail up through the brush -- Hapa Road, but haven't been on it in a while so it may not be in great shape if it's become overgrown. Shortens the distance a smidge, but that area can be blazing hot in summer in the full sun.

None of these areas have good sidewalks so walking is kinda iffy IMO esp. at night.

Edited: 6:21 am, February 22, 2013
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
5. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm afraid walking Hapa Road isn't an option really - the development in the area has almost destroyed it - plus you would come out by St Raphael's Church and have the long walk down to Weliweli Road and then into Koloa town.

There is no sidewalk on Poʻipū Rd going to Koloa town so you are trudging through high sedge grass or on the very busy road itself - neither are good options.

I live on Poʻipū Rd and see visitors dangerously walking on the road itself sometimes on their way to Koloa - cars have to swerve into oncoming traffic lane to avoid them.....really bad.

Malama Pono,

Janet

california
6. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

We will have a car and also will not be doing any dangerous walking anywhere. Don't worry!

Any web links for the Poipu and other area, not Koloa?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
7. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This is a good link for information about what is here in the Po'ipu area:

http://www.poipubeach.org/

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 44
8. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

honeymooner,

Here is a website for the Poipu area.

http://www.poipubeach.org/

We walk everywhere in Poipu from the Hyatt on the east to Spouting Horn on the west. We love to walk to the restaurants and shopping centers. I prefer to not walk along Poipu Road. We tend to use the Poipu Kai walking path from the Hyatt down to Brennecke's Beach. I would never try to walk to Koloa (never crossed my mind). I forget where you decided to stay but both locations (The Villas and Nihi Kai) are centrally located and easy access to the Poipu Kai walking path. If you walking over to Poipu or Kukui'ula Shopping Villages, I would walk along the beach in front of Kiahuna Plantation (it's short). Head up the KP parking lot to Poipu Shopping Village. To get to Kukui'ula, we walk past the Sheraton, up Kapili Road to Poipu Road (which has a sidewalk starting here) and then cross at the traffic circle.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
reviews: 97
9. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

"Street View" on GoogleMaps.....see it all.

3Chihuahuas

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
reviews: 44
10. Re: Shopping "centers" near Poipu

"Street View" on GoogleMaps is fabulous! But it does not show the walking paths or the parking lots (like at KP). it does show the fairly new side walk in front of Koloa Landing and Waikomo Streams Villas. I've been enjoying exploring the island via GoogleMaps.