We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation Hale Suites???

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pt. Coq., BC Canada
Plantation Hale Suites???

Hello,

My husband and I are in our early 60s and have never been to Kauai. Plantation Hale Suites was recommended to us. Neither of us are really into any hiking or ziplining but more interested in just relaxing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at renting privately VRBO 48560, the owners seem quite nice.

We are thinking of staying the last 2 weeks of April and are wondering how the weather is and if there is a proplem with mosquitoes? We are used to vacationing in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. Will 2 weeks be too long a stay at PH?

Are the grounds and pools very nice, large, etc.? Can you have drinks around the pool?

What would be the best car rental agency for a compact car? I know that I have asked a lot of questions but I am trying to decide between Kauai and Mexico.

Thank you so much in advance.

Canada
reviews: 24
1. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

Kauai is a far superior choice over Mexico.

What is your nightly accommodation budget USD$?

Plantation Hale is a very old complex ...and has seen a better day( to say the least)Mosquitos would be the last of your concerns.

In April , either a North Shore or South (Poipu) location would be a better choice. .......

All the major car rental agencies are represented on the Island Select one that offers the best price for the vehicle category you require. Make a non pre-pay courtesy reservation....and check back to see if the price drops.

Depending on your budget...there are many desirable properties to recommend on Island .

Kauai is a spectacular destination with so much to offer. The Island is truly one of the most beautiful Islands.

IMO ,I would give "Plantation Hale" a wide berth...

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
2. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

I wouldn't choose Plantation Hale. While some of the units aren't bad, the complex is right on the main road and well back from the beach. Note that several of the views they show in their eBrochure are not anywhere near the complex. I don't remember the grounds/pool as being anything special.

Let us know your budget; maybe we can make other suggestions.

Mosquitoes aren't a great problem here unless you're in a wooded or wet area.

Any of the major car rental companies are fine. There are also some local ones that might save you some $$. Also try www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

California
reviews: 88
3. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

There are much nicer and better places to stay. If you are looking for the same area check out Islander On The Beach. On VRBO there are a number of privately owned studios or if you rent from the front desk's 800 number you get a few more perks. My inlaws stay at Islander and really like it. You are walking distance to a good breakfast place in the marketplace, Tree's Lounge is right next door and Hukilau Lanai is one of the best restaurants on the island and its in the complex next door. Plantation Hale looks like a B movie motel and I wouldn't give it a google search. Even Courtyard By Marriott is nicer.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
4. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

I was at the Courtyard last night and was surprised at how pleasant it was. We stayed back when it was the Coconut Coast Resort. The room was adequate, the restaurant, horrible. The current restaurans, Voyages, is quite good and not terribly expensive. Dinner for 3 with appetizers and drinks was about $125.

San Diego...
reviews: 42
5. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

Plantation Hale is not a great spot IMO. It looks more like a low end apt complex and has a reputation for burglary issues I'm afraid. Petty crime can happen anywhere on Kauai though.

As others have said, give us a budget idea and perhaps we can suggest someplace nicer.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
reviews: 32
6. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'll throw my two cents in here and say that I know someone who has lived at Plantation Hale full-time for quite a few years now and really likes it!

They like the convenience factor, the location, and while the pool is nothing to get all excited about - they do have a perfectly adequate one.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is so close to the highway - I think it would be a good choice if you were looking for an inexpensive place to stay on the East Side and close to restaurants and shopping (within walking distance).

Not a fancy place for sure, but not horrible either IMO.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
7. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

I've stayed twice at Plantation Hale and thought it was a good value for the price. I liked being able to walk over to the Coconut Market Place. I also liked the fact that there were 3 pools..one for each cluster of low-rise buildings. There was never anyone else at the pool(s) I used! The pools are between the buildings and the road. Because it is an older complex there is mature landscaping that creates a fairly serene setting.

It's a good location for exploring the island. The fact that you are able to see the specific unit you would rent is a big plus over going with the central reservation company. Personally I did not notice any road noise, but I am a bit hard of hearing so might not be a good judge! Also, my stays were just a few nights each time as I was splitting my stay on different parts of the island.

I looked at the vrbo listing and it looks very fresh and bright.

Greeley, Colorado
reviews: 1
8. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

My husband and I stayed in this exact VRBO unit in May, 2012. We found the unit to be exceptionally clean and comfortable. The price was great for our budget, allowing for more excursions. Having AC in the unit was a nice bonus, as the weather was hot. True that the complex is older, but this particular unit seemed well-maintained.

The owners were very easy to work with, and extremely helpful with all questions and advice for our first time visit to Kauai. The location was perfect for exploring the island, centrally located to both the north and south beaches. The beach across from complex was not great for swimming or snorkeling, at least at the time of year we were there. The pool was small, but nice. No drinks were allowed inside the fenced area around the pool.

We didn't have any issues with noise, even being close to the highway. We felt safe, and saw security personnel around the complex often.

I would definitely recommend this unit for your stay. You will have a marvelous time in Kauai!

Greeley, Colorado
reviews: 1
9. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

My husband and I stayed in this exact VRBO unit in May, 2012. We found the unit to be exceptionally clean and comfortable. The price was great for our budget, allowing for more excursions. Having AC in the unit was a nice bonus, as the weather was hot. True that the complex is older, but this particular unit seemed well-maintained.

The owners were very easy to work with, and extremely helpful with all questions and advice for our first time visit to Kauai. The location was perfect for exploring the island, centrally located to both the north and south beaches. The beach across from complex was not great for swimming or snorkeling, at least at the time of year we were there. The pool was small, but nice. No drinks were allowed inside the fenced area around the pool.

We didn't have any issues with noise, even being close to the highway. We felt safe, and saw security personnel around the complex often.

I would definitely recommend this unit for your stay. You will have a marvelous time in Kauai!

Vacaville...
10. Re: Plantation Hale Suites???

We stayed at the islander on the beach which seemed nicer. You can buy drinks at the poolside bar at the islander and has easy beach access for strolling and ocean viewing not swimming. We liked our room and it was affordable. Not much more than hale.