We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha
reviews: 4
Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

Since it is my first time in Hawaii. I used a week to plan everything.

I plan to stay in Oahu (4 star hotel)for 4 nights, then Kauai (Condo)for 5 nights and 1 night in Maui(5 star hotel as an enhancement of the trip since it is a good deal...)

I have not book car or inlands ticket yet... Do I need to be aware of anything... I have a tour agent take care of everything on Oahu. but the rest of the is on myself....

Any advice ?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
1. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

Don't over pack and don't try to do too much. Set some time aside to just relax and enjoy one of the magnificent sunsets.

Honolulu, Hawaii
2. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

Just make sure you bring a large waterproof bag....you will need it for the trip home. After a vacation like you have planned you will be so relaxed they will have to pour you onto the plane.

Personally, I would spend more nights on Maui than Kauai. (Note to self: Be prepared for rabid disagreements).

Kauai, Hawaii
reviews: 12
3. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

Party animal!

Kauai, Hawaii
reviews: 12
4. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

You will need a car in Kauai for sure. Only a day in Maui, might be a good place to unwind, esp. in your 5-star hotel, from the rigors of adventures in Oahu and Kauai. Just use the shuttle for your overnighter in Maui.

You can make your way around Oahu pretty well on the excellent transit system...all the way to the North Shore/Haleiwa, etc. and back to Waikiki for ?$2.00 R.T.

I have had good fortune. price wise, consistently with Alamo Rent-a-Car on Kauai, but check for a sale. Much depends on whether you are visiting high or low season.

Kauai / Los Angeles
5. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

Not sure what inlands ticket is...?? Interisland airfare?

Denver, Colorado...
reviews: 9
6. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

I live on Oahu, so let me tell you that four days is nowhere near enough to do everything you need to, especially if this is your first visit to the island. So don't even try! Hit the highlights, then kick back and relax. I'm assuming you're staying in Waikiki? There's SO much to do on Oahu, it really depends on your interests as to what a four-day schedule should look like. If this is your first time visiting, or if you just need/want further information about anything specifics, let me know and I'll share what I can.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
7. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

Aloha! My only advice would be to possibly extended your time for Hawaii or only pick 2 islands max - or you'll just be spending precious time in the airport terminals. Everyone has their favorite island, so you'll get plenty opinions on that here. (yep - I pick Kauai!) ALSO, go get a copy of the Revealed books - they have them for each island you are going to: Maui Revealed, Oahu Revealed, and the Ultimate Kauai - often your local library will have them, or you can order them from Amazon and have them in a few days. These books are great at explaining the islands, the activities, dining choices, everything. Happy planning!

Also, if you want details on activities or favorite restaurants, I would post that on each island forum for those details you may be looking for. Good luck and have a wonderful time - you will love Hawaii! :)

California
reviews: 20
8. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

i agree with coalminer, cut it down to two islands or increase the amount of time you're staying in hawaii. otherwise, you'll spend too much of your vacation packing/unpacking going to/from the airport and wasting a full day (in total hours) in and around airports. your trip looks to be 10 days total, i've spent that much time on just one island and it wasn't enough.

if you're staying right on waikiki in oahu, you won't need a car (unless you want to just rent one for a day to go up to the north shore). kauai, you'll definately want a car. i'd drop maui all together, but that's just me.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 62
9. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

I agree that 10 days can easily be spent on any of the islands, but I can also see that for a first timer seeing as much as possible is a good induction to the islands. Then go back and spend more time on each one. I wouldn't hesitate to go to Maui for the day. Being use to flying hours to get to anywhere by plane, the interisland flights are a snap. Do rent cars on Kauai and Maui. A car would be nice on Oahu, but not necessary with their bus system--plus depending on where you stay you could have quite a parking fee.

Georgia
10. Re: Need Advice -- First timer Hawaii

I think you should skip Maui altogether and stay in Kauai the extra day. It is my personal favorite out of the two islands. absolutely beautiful and not so tourist.