We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather concerns

Which Kauai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 28
Weather concerns

Hello,

We are planning to stay at the Marriott in Lihue next year, for 4-5 nights mid-Dec. As we would love at least one day to relax by the pool, we're wondering if the Poipu Area would be more suitable. Would really appreciate any input as we realize Kauai can have rainy days but wonder if there is a big difference between these two areas.

As always, thank-you in advance.

Kauai, Hawaii
reviews: 12
11. Re: Weather concerns

P...I have been visiting on the east side this entire month (about month 10 minutes north of Kauai Marriott at Kalapaki Beach and Nawiliwili Harbor). I cannot imagine there will be a major weather change by the time of your visit in the next two weeks. Quickly, I will say it actually rained a good 1/2 to 1 hour in Poipu while we were at the Grand Slam on 11/23...but not since. As for your prospective location, while we have had no rain at all in the past four days, you might experience very short-lived showers. Never enough to dampen one's spirits! Temp. has been 75-80 daytime (very comfortable for activities and 60-75 at night (great for sleeping with windows open to the sounds of the surf). If the humidity is up then you will have a warmer skin feel...just as you experience on warm and humid summer days in Toronto. I am no weatherperson but given this beautiful day (11/29), your chances are very, very good that you will not be limited to enjoy this beautiful island in any way. Even the rain is beautiful...a basic requirement for Kauai's full arc rainbows. Depending on your east side weather...you can always do the very short drive to Poipu (1/2 hour) and bask in the sun on your straw mat.

There are lots of restaurants and shops right near your hotel in the Harbor Village...right next to your hotel. I hope you will stop in the craft shop down near the cruise ship dock...nice items to give to friends or keepsakes for yourself. If you do have a chance and are interested in such things, go to the Kauai Museum on Rice St. right in the civic center/courthouse area. Any history buff will enjoy that. Otherwise, do the standard drill in 4 days you have, i.e., North Shore, Kilauea Lighthouse and Waimea Canyon (and JoJo's shave ice in Waimea on your way back to Lihue).

Sounds as tho you are just happy to be making this trip to sightsee a bit and very likely to be content in a clean and comfortable place to rest your tourist-weary head. I know you understand that the Marriott Kauai in Lihue is not the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club or Grand Hyatt. Each of us has our very own expectations, style and reasons for our travels...part of the fun of it is to learn what kind of tourist or traveler you are.

Wishing you lots of Aloha and pack light!

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
12. Re: Weather concerns

I would guess you'll probably have decent weather. If it rains in Lihue, try running down to Po'ipu.

IMHO, Duke's isn't bad; decent salad bar, too. Kukui's in the Marriott is supposed to be good. I'd stay away from J.J.'s Broiler in the mall by the harbor, but The Beach Hut right there does a good breakfast and decent burgers.

The only reason I don't particularly like that Marriott is the location. I prefer to be up in the Wailua/Waipouli/Kapa'a area. I agree with the comments that the Hyatt is terrific, but also pretty expensive.

vancouver...
13. Re: Weather concerns

We stayed in the Marriott a month ago and rate it a "B". It gets an "A" for location because it's easy to chill out in the Poipu area should it be raining up north or at Waimea Canyon. Yes, it definitely can get a little cold and rain this month, however, sun can usually be found in Kekaha, Hanapepe Town, and Koloa-Poipu. The Museum in Lihue is worth a visit on a rainy day and so is shopping in Hanalei. We depend on the Kauai Trailblazer for snorkeling and have spent rainy days in the water off Anini Beach. We always rent a little cottage there because it is so quiet. Returning to your original question: yes, the Marriott is reasonably priced and gets our thumbs up.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 62
14. Re: Weather concerns

The Marriott in Lihue does have a fantastic pool area. Since it probably won't rain the whole time you're there, just jump in the pool when it does rain, then sunbath when it stops!

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 2
15. Re: Weather concerns

I can't comment on the weather, but for our stay in Oct it rained most days, but only for a few minutes at a time, and once it was over it boiled off quickly. Weather in one area may be totally different than in another, at any given time. As for the resort I found it very nice, and ate at both the in house restaurant & Dukes regularily, and was happy with the food versus price. I did a review of the resort & posted a link to an on line album with lots of photos of the place. If you wish to read it use the search function just above the messages & search for "trip report & photos, Marriott Kauai Beach resort" the address is too long to put in this message.

We also spent some time at the Marriott in Poipu, and I would gladly stay at either, each having different pros & cons. If you haven't left yet, too bad, you look to be getting a storm today & tomorrow, which is then on it's way to my house.