We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap eats in Kona

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 20
cheap eats in Kona

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering which places you recommend for going to dinner in Kona. I would like to writght down a few cheap places for dinner. Would be nice if we can sit there (no take away) and we don't like fish.

34 replies to this topic
Canada
reviews: 24
1. Re: cheap eats in Kona

Many restaurants in Kailua Kona are geared toward "tourist dollar" and thereby not considered all that cheap.

Here is a list of reviews done by locals, residents and visitors for some varied opinions.

http://www.konaweb.com/restaurant/index.cgi

Big Island grill, Quinn's for fish and chips are a couple of spots that offer modest pricing

Amsterdam, The...
2. Re: cheap eats in Kona

Im also staying in oahu and maui and did found some affordable restaurants there. But it seems to be that kona has the highest prices.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
reviews: 73
3. Re: cheap eats in Kona

We like the Big Island Grill - tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60872-d39…

When we visit the Big Island, we eat here at least 4 to 5 times!!!

Canada
reviews: 24
4. Re: cheap eats in Kona

Oahu is a whole different place when it comes to cheap eats.....there are many to choose for.

Big island is different on many levels........bargain dining is just one of them.

Hilo has more to offer in that category.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 25
5. Re: cheap eats in Kona

You will probably do a walk along Alli Drive anyways when you arrive and do a scenic walk along the 1/2 mile or so of the business district to check out the posted menu prices and vibe then come back to the one that looks like the best bargain (check out reviews here).

Also all of the fast food restaurants. Last time out I had McDonalds salads for 6 bucks allot....pretty good w/ Newmans dressings (if you don't like the vibe just do a take out to the beach or your room). Pizza Hut has an all you can eat food bar for 12 bucks (my kind of place). I like Denny's salads near Safeway in Kona plus they typically have free wi-fi. I know not that Hawaiian feeling but I do most of my dining those places then splurge a couple of times a trip on nicer places.

I like to stop by Metal Mike's pretzel in Kona for a cheap snack or the nearby Scandanavian Shaved Ice is good for a cheap treat as well.

Bring your Safeway club card for buying groceries or add the Foodland discount by just giving them your phone number.

Some of my "reasonable" places to eat range from about $35 at Kona Brew Pub, about $25 at Annies Island in Captain Cook, about $15 at Coffee Shack breakfast/lunch, about $5 for a cheap breakfast at Manago Hotel if heading towards Captain Cook or about $15 bucks for thier lunches/dinners.

Edited: 2:22 pm, January 24, 2014
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 30
6. Re: cheap eats in Kona

We've found we can often make a decent meal by selecting a few choices from happy hour menus: poke, a salad, coconut prawns..... Nice thing about dining that way is that you're not sacrificing (too much) quality for an affordable price. Happy hours end early at most places though, so you might need to adjust your dining schedule some.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
7. Re: cheap eats in Kona

Balé and Patricio's in the shopping mall downtown with the Pier One (i always forget the name of it) are both pretty good and relatively inexpensive. Mahi's has good plate lunch and awesome onion rings.

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: cheap eats in Kona

Thanks for the tips we are also thinking of eating at mc donalds and pizza hut so we can save some money for other days. I rather spent money on all or things we want to do then on eating in a nice restaurant every evening. We will buy breakfast at the grocerie store. More tips are welcome of course.

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: cheap eats in Kona

Thanks for the tips we are also thinking of eating at mc donalds and pizza hut so we can save some money for other days. I rather spent money on all or things we want to do then on eating in a nice restaurant every evening. We will buy breakfast at the grocerie store. More tips are welcome of course.

Looked up for mahi's but i think they serve fish and chips :-P not the right choice for us.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
10. Re: cheap eats in Kona

Don't forget there is a farmers market in Kona as well . . .the more you eat out of grocery stores/markets, the more $$ you save. If you can, try to eat a simple breakfast where you are staying, pack a lunch for beach/days activities and then have dinner out - a bit easier on the food budget. I could just never do McDonalds no matter how tight my budget . . . .

Reply to: cheap eats in Kona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Island of Hawaii