We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

map from east to Hilo with stops.

New England
reviews: 117
map from east to Hilo with stops.

I went to AAA to get a map. I need to use a magnifying glass to read the print. In another post it was recommended we drive the Hamakua Coast to go to VNP from Kailua-Kona. I can not find that on my map. Dare I call that map useless. I looked at Google maps .Didn't find what I wanted there either. It might be there ,but beyond my computer skills.

I have a list of stops to make such as the Tropical Garden, Rainbow Falls, Waipio overlook. etc. But I could only find Rainbow Falls on my map. Can someone help direct me to a map? Thanks. J

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
1. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

Hey beautiful! Google maps!

http://goo.gl/maps/75kJm

I also added the Akaka Falls, a place we really enjoyed. It was $5.00 a vehicle when we went there, and I am assuming it hasn't gone up yet.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
2. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

I'm with J0an all the way with google maps but I do suggest having an old fashioned, hard copy road map. I just like them. You can buy one when you get on island or google and buy any that come up.

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
3. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

When you get on island, you will be able to pick them up for free. Your car rental agency will give you one as well. I always ask for two. I kept one in the glove box of the car, so we always had one with us, and I would have the other one to take into the condo with us. It was nice to have it, to help plan out the itinerary for the next day. I disliked always looking for it, and having to walk out to the car to find it! And conversely, I hated leaving it behind in the condo, and not having it to refer to when we were out for a drive.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
4. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

There is also a wonderful map published by U of Hawaii that shows topography and the dates of lava flows. It sells on Amazon and on island for either 1.95 or 2.95.

Online, aside from Google Maps, which will create routes for you, there are many maps of the island online. Simply type

Big Island map

Into a Google search and select Images instead of Web. In fact any search will offer you Image results as one type of result and just click. You can try out different maps and they are all free.

Also the map you get from the rental company is online as a booklet. Simply search for either

Hawaii Drive-O maps

Or

Honolulu Publishing Company drive maps

And you will find it, one booklet for each island.

The map is near the back.

Edited: 1:44 am, January 20, 2014
New England
5. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

Thanks all. Joan I am going to print that map and then get myself on Google maps and try to learn more about using it. Have a great day everyone. J

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
6. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

Drive to the VNP from Kailua-Kona? Like a day-trip? That's a looooong drive!

When you pick up your bags at the airport, check the baggage area for free maps. There are some good ones! And things like restaurants guides and activity brochures.

The maps that you are given by the rental car agencies are chopped up among pages of advertising. Makes me crazy. I find them cartoonish. OK for an overview ... but not to juggle in the car.

I would invest in a good map - and I would start at Barnes & Noble. Then check out Amazon.com.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
7. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

Yes, do allow about four hours drive time to VNP via that route from Kailua Kona and about another four hours of driving/stops for the Waipio overlook, Laupahoehoe overlook, Akaka Falls, and the HTBG. Assuming you're going to be spending the night in Volcano, you might want to do Hilo and Rainbow Falls, etc on another day. It can be hard to find your lodging at night in Volcano.

New England
8. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

We are spending 2 nights near VNP.

9. Re: map from east to Hilo with stops.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 22, 2015