We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

Boston...
reviews: 3
Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

I am starting to look into different options for a helicopter tour on the BI, and this sounds intriguing. Has anyone done this? Is it safe? Does it make it a lot easier to see things? Any info would be appreciated!

Portland, OR
reviews: 38
1. Re: Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

Reb347,

Search for Pelekai’s trip report, they did it recently. I suggest considering the circle island tour, as one gets to see so much more and the waterfalls in Kohala are spectacular and for me was even more exciting than the volcano.

Good luck and happy travels!

Palm Springs...
reviews: 62
2. Re: Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

well if you really wnat to do it fine... but it is going to cost well over $200 for a very short 40 to 45 min flight of which 80% is over residential Hilo like 30 min Yes it is safe, no its a poor value

As echo said, for the same money you can fly all the way around the island for 2 whole hours.... thats 200 % more stuff. and see sights even better than the volcano.... like the cinder cones on Mauna Loa, Capt Cook bay, The 3000 ft falls of the Kohala mts, Hamakua coast, Wiapio.... rRainforests of Hawi...

But its your dime.......

Columbus, Oh
Destination Expert
for Columbus
3. Re: Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

I did it and it was awesome.

I had the middle front seat, husband had the copilot seat. He had on a tshirt, long sleeve sweater and a pullover sweatshirt that paradise had him wear and he said his right arm was still a bit chilly.

Beautiful sights, beautiful pictures.

It is great if you want to go up in a helicopter and can't spend tons of money.

Boston...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

From the research I've done, this is only $20/pp more than the regular helicopter tour over the volcano, but about $150/pp less than the circle Island tour. We really can't afford to do the whole circle island, but we'd really like to see the volcano from above. With that said, is it worth it to pay extra for the doors off experience? Also, it it truly doors off, or just open windows? I'm having a hard time imagining how no doors in a helicopter can be safe! I have never been in a helicopter before, so sorry if that is a stupid question. Thanks!!!

PA
reviews: 14
5. Re: Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

From all I have seen and heard, this is what the helicopter looks like:

barefoottours.com/1-MASTER/companyart/paradi…

here's another link with the description if you scroll down:

www.hawaiiactivities.com/index.cfm…

The 4 seater, is actually a five seater, when you include the pilot. The pilot sits up front on the left, then there are two additional seats in the front, one on the outside and one in between the pilot and the outer seat. The middle seat has the same view essentially out the front as the pilot, so the views are still good. Two window seats are then also in the back, with completely open views.

I'll be taking this tour in a few weeks... will comment on it when I return.

P.S. you should be able to get the doors off tour for less than $200, including taxes.

6. Re: Has anyone done the Doors Off Paradise Helicopter tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 11, 2009