We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kona reef or fairway villas

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 51
kona reef or fairway villas

We have never been to the big island and would like to stay for 6 weeks in Jan,Feb or March 2015.It is for 2 adults. We have stayed in Maui three times and Oahu once. We were wondering out of Kona Reef and Fairway Villas which would be the better one. The reef you have a ocean view or ocean front and the villas has a golf view. Does Kona get vog for long periods of time? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
1. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

These are in two entirely different areas of the island, Kona Reef is in Kailua Kona which has no beaches to speak of and as you note experiences frequent vog but has a lot of affordable rocky shoreline oceanfront (usually no ocean entry)

Waikoloa Beach where the Fairway Villas are located is in the sunny beach district with better weather and ocean access but not direct oceanfront for the more affordable complexes.

Reading through the Top Questions on Kona versus Kohala lodging will probably help you make a decision as to what your priorities are in terms of a lodging base.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

Would like to hear more about how you want to spend your days. Relax, swim, golf, snorkel, tour? sightsee?

Six weeks is a long time.

Have you thought about splitting the stay to try both areas?

My own choice would be the Fairway location, but if you like to be in town and oceanfront, the Kona Reef can offer that. I would expect that vog will be part of the picture in Kailua Kona, as it typically is, but I will say that winter is some of the best weather for town. I consider it fairly unbearable in summer.

Thereʻs something to be said for trying out two bases so that you can reach both the south and the north of the island with shorter day trips. If you want to sit on a lanai and look at the ocean, you wonʻt get that at the Fairways. If you want beach time, then Waikoloa.

And yes, please do look over the Top Questions.

No California
reviews: 28
3. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

I've given this a lot of thought myself (not between to two facilities, but between Kailua Kona and the Kohala area). For what it's worth, this is how I think:

When we come for a week or two, we always stay in the Waikoloa Beach area, but that's because we have a time share there. For a few weeks, we enjoy it. Weather is great, so close to some of the best beaches, restaurants are close. We are out of our condo part of every day and at the beach or enjoying some of the BI. I miss having an ocean view and hearing the waves through the open window. But we usually get that when we change islands and finish out our vacation elsewhere. If we were not out of our condo daily, we might as well be back at home having cocktails on our patio - the view and weather are about the same during parts of the year.

If I were to be there for 6 weeks, I think I would prefer being ocean front if possible. Even if the trade off was vog and a drive to the beach. When staying for 6 weeks, we would not be heading to the beach every day, but would enjoy morning coffee and afternoon cocktails outside with the ocean serenading us.

I guess you just have to figure out what is most important to you and then go where you can meet those needs. Good luck - 6 weeks - I'm jealous.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
4. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

Those are good points. I do love an ocean view. OTOH I do like to be near the ocean, and I do not like the drive between Kailua and Waikoloa, especially the part south of the airport. Itʻs just not scenic.

If I had six weeks, I would spend part of it in an ocean view house or cottage, so that I did not have to be on Aliʻi Drive, but could still see the ocean. For that I would have to drive to the beach, but Iʻd look for a different drive.

It would make ma crazy to be on Aliʻi Drive for six weeks. It makes me tired to be there for an afternoon.

I stayed in a really nice B&B on Aliʻi Drive years ago, and it was awesome. You couldnʻt even tell you were in town, all private, couldnʻt see other houses really, and there was a pocket sand beach. That was nice, of course it was $150 a night for a single room and no kitchen usage except frig space.

Canada
reviews: 27
5. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

I would pick South Kohala for the 6 week stay. Is Fairway Villas @ WBR, the only option? I see you have a bit of lead time....

As you have selected one Island for the 6 week visit, I can totally appreciate the desire to stay in one locale. You would have a very good chance of obtaining a pretty good owner discount with that length of stay IME.

We are frequent extended stay visitors to the BIg Island and realize that our rate negotiations with owner are influenced by length of stay and number in party. You will find that many of the newly constructured, desirable condo units in South Kohala are a minimum of 2 BR ( unlike Maui) ....it is what it is....more space than you need, but lovely new accommodation.

The clear blue skies in South Kohala are a huge draw for us....little rain, and close proximity to the Island's best beaches.

The location allows us to drive down to Kailua-Kona area to shop....or up to visit Waimea, or North Kohala.

The VOG can be worse some years ...it is always amazing to me that as we drive away from Kailua-Kona....back to South Kohala.....that the skies begin to clear in no time at all. The differing climates on the BIg Island are still something we marvel at....even after many visits........always South Kohala

Can you share a weekly, or nightly budget? Perhaps there would be some suggestions that would afford you a bit of a ocean view in South Kohala.....even it was a distant one.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 51
6. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

Thanks for all the feedback. We would like to keep it between 5000- 5500 for the 6 week rental. Any suggestions?

Canastota, New York
reviews: 3
7. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

Just thought I'd add my "2 cents worth" on ocean front vs. golf view. We just came back from 11 nights on the BI.

Spent 7 nights oceanfront at Hale Kona Kai in Kailua Kona and 4 nights with golf course view in Golf villas at Mauna Lani.

Even though the Golf villa was new, luxurious (by my standards), and beautifully landscaped, we still preferred the simpler Hale Kona Kai because of the fantastic ocean view and sound of the surf. We really enjoyed spending time in the morning and late afternoon on the lanai watching all the activity in the bay. (Sorry we missed the canoe races though!) Not at all impressed with Kailua Kona town, but on our 4th floor lanai it seemed a world away. Honestly didn't notice any vog.

The big plus at Golf villas was the short drive to beaches, and access to parking at the Mauna Lani Beach Club on Makaiwa bay, where there is a very nice beach and excellent snorkeling (as the DE's have said!).

Canada
reviews: 27
8. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

Well, you never know what rate might be offered for a 6 week rental.

However, your budget of $130/night before taxes(5,500/month) for prime season may well need to be stretched if your sights are on South Kohala.

I am unfamiliar with rates in Kailua-Kona at this time...but as your time of visit is almost 18 months out........it is hard to predict what rates will be for that time period.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
9. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

I would agree, split your stay between the Kohala Coast and Kailua Kona so you can experience both.

While you can negotiate a discount, for three or six weeks the rates are still going to be closer to short term rates than a long term residential rental. If you're looking at around $125-150 per night, as it appears, then either Waikoloa

Beach or the Mauna Lani could work on the Kohala Coast. both have several complexes in that range. I like the Palm Villas in the Mauna Lani because they're easy walking distance to Makaiwa Bay. The beach at Waikoloa Beach, Anaehoomalu Bay, isn't as nice but it's ok and there are more shops and restaurants.

I do think the Top Questions will be helpful to you.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
10. Re: kona reef or fairway villas

I know some rentals have a monthly rate, but whether it gets better with two more weeks I wouldnʻt know, guess it depends on the rental.

Depends on your travel style too. I am fairly antsy and like to experience different places, even though I donʻt much like shuffling my stuff. Shuffling my stuff after even a week would not be too much for me. Every two nights gets wearing. Obviously you wouldnʻt be doing that.

How do you feel about changing lodgings? Itʻs your call.