We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Which Island of Hawaii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL.
Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

I am trying to decide between the two. I can get the Marriott at $95 a night and the Hapuna Prince at $165. Both are good deals - but does one resort really stand out over the other?

The thing that makes me a bit hesitant about the Marriott is that it's supposed to have a "burmed" beach. Now, I'm not exactly sure what this means - can anyone help me? Does that mean that the beach is less accessible? Less beautiful?

Other thing is that there is supposed to be condo construction going on near the Marriott. Don't know how much of an inconvenience this is.

I've read the reviews for both hotels, but can anyone offer any other advise on this choice for a mid-20s couple with no kids that like to relax, snorkle and stay in nice places but also love getting the best value for $$ spent?

Thanks

Los Angeles
reviews: 41
1. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Aloha!

I had the exact same problem you're having at the moment when I was planning my upcoming trip to the Big Island. This is the first extended trip my boyfriend and I are taking together, and we were looking for serenity, not which resort had the biggest pool with a water slide. With that said, I think you should go with the Hapuna.

We were stuck between the Hapuna and the Fairmont but we seemed to get alot more for our money at the Hapuna because our room has an ocean view, and I heard the bathrooms are great, which is a must for me. Another thing that wayed our decision is the resort is somewhat off the beaten path, so apparently there are not alot of children there. Nothing against kids, but we don't have any and we want to relax. And I think you'll get alot of families at the Marriott and the Hilton.

The Hapuna Beach is suppose to be the best on the island and there is a place to snorkel, which I believe is closer to the sister property, Mauna Kea Resort, and it's free to use their amenities as well.

birmingham, al
reviews: 26
2. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

"thevolcanogod": Where are you getting the $165 price for the Hapuna? Is it for an ocean view room or is it for the terrace?

The cheapest I have seen the ocean view room is for $209

which I believe it was "Dewtrell", that has already responded to you, that pointed that price out to me on a website. Will you let me know what web site you are getting that price on and what your room is? That said. After researching all of the hotels extensively, I vote for the Hapuna Prince. My only concern with it was that is was so secluded but I think that will end up being a good thing for a romantic trip. Most of the reviews on Trip Advisor, Travelocity, Fodor's, and others are wonderful for the Hapuna Prince. If there are any complaints it seems to be just over the pricey resort food, which to me is to be expected.

Los Angeles
3. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Ya, I was going to ask about that rate too! Even though it won't make a big difference because we'll lose $50 if I cancel my reservations with the company we're going with, which is why I hate these companies and would rather book directly with the hotel.

Chicago, IL.
4. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Priceline. To make a long story short, because of counteroffers during bidding and the price thresholds I'm approaching and past bidding history, I'm sure of these prices. It's not too hard to figure this stuff out for the Big Island - there are only 2 hotels in the "Resort" category and that category is only available in 1 area, and there is only 1 hotel in the 4-star category and that is only in one area also.

Bidding history shows that if the Hilton Waikoloa has rooms available to Priceline, bids are accepted around $145 a night. If the Hapuna Prince is available, bids are accepted around $165 a night.

Granted, this would be a non-cancellation reservation and it would be a "standard" room - probably not oceanview. But I know how to work an upgrade upon check-in - either for free or for a bit more $$. Either way, the price definately makes it a good bet.

Note: I am not affiliated with Priceline even though I think it's one of the best travel-savings places out there - if you know how to work it.

Los Angeles
5. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Ya, I heard of a few people getting rooms at the Hapuna through Priceline. We would have done it but we weren't sure if we were going to do 4 days Maui/3 days Big Island or vice versa.

How do you work an upgrade? While I heard most of the rooms at the Hapuna are great, and most have an ocea view, we got a partial-ocean view with our deal of $209, but if I could work an upgrade, it would be awesome.

Chicago, IL.
6. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

If the hotel has any type of "Rewards" program, make sure you join - often these programs will get you an upgrade if one is available.

If not, ask at the front desk when you check in to see if any upgrades are available. Sometimes you will get one for free, sometimes you will have to pay a little extra $$. Generally, almost everytime I've asked, I've been offered an upgrade - sometimes for free - sometimes for $10 or $20 extra.

One time I was offered one for $50 extra and declined and got it for free anyways. I've seen a few websites before that actually coach you on the proper way to ask for an upgrade and get one.

If you really had to have an upgrade you could tell them it's your honeymoon - almost guaranteed. Of course that would be sneaky and a bit dishonest, so I would never suggest it.

Anyways, so the Hapuna is worth the extra $70 a night over the Marriott?

birmingham, al
7. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

I was thinking it was probably the priceline website. I have seen other people on the reviews mention it and how to put what in etc. (I guess how to work it, as you say "theVolcanogod"). I just haven't taken the time to learn it. I have heard good things about it. I need to look into as much as my husband and I enjoy traveling. I believe, according to all the posted reviews that the Hapuna is your best bet and worth the extra money. That is just my opinion though. Look at the reviews on Fodor's.com if you want more opinions. My trip isn't until June so I am just going off of the reviews and the forums etc.

Dewtrell: Look back a page or 2 on the forum to "purple0603"'s response to his question about upgrading. There are a few suggestions you might like to read. I did sign up for the prince card membership a few weeks ago. I read a while back where someone did it and did get a free upgrade.

It is free to join and easy. Just go on their website and join.

Hopefully, it will get me some little "extra's".

kohala coast, hawaii
reviews: 32
8. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

aloha thevc- i live in this neck of the woods and know both these properties well. the Hapuna is a quantum leap in virtually every category (beach, rooms, activites, spa, food, service, ambiance, crowds, landscaping, amenities, etc) over the waikoloa beach marriott. think of it as the difference between macy's and nordstroms, or a buick and a cadillac ( i won't say mercedes, because that would be the 4 seaons hualalai). i think the hapuna is worth the extra money - it's really quite lovely and the beach is swimmable and gorgeous. correct, there is sizable crowds, kids, and onstruction going on at Waikola. so to answer your question, yes, the Hapuna really does stand out. go 4 it - and have a wonderful time.

Los Angeles
9. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

"If the hotel has any type of "Rewards" program, make sure you join - often these programs will get you an upgrade if one is available."

I was thinking about joining their awards program but I know I can also get frequent flier miles for Hawaiian Airlines, so I'm a bit torn. In any case, I will ask for an upgrade when I arrive.

Thanks for the tip!

Oh... and yes, I would most definately choose the Hapuna over the Marriott. When doing my research, the two hotels I did not even consider was the Marriott and the Hilton because I know what type of atmosphere to expect and I just don't want to deal with a Disneyland type environment because I really need a vacation!!!! Plus, I travel alot for work as it is and stay in alot of hotels. Wherever I've been, a Marriott is just a Marriott and a Hilton is just a Hilton.

birmingham, al
10. Re: Hapuna Price or Waikoloa Beach Marriott

MKL: Your always so helpful on this forum. Glad to know I am making the right choices with your help.