We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding and Reception on the big island next year!!!

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 3
Wedding and Reception on the big island next year!!!

Hello,

My fiancee and I recently got engaged and are trying to plan our wedding on the big island next year and could really use some assistance!!! Right now, we really like the lava lava beach club, and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to experience a wedding/reception there? We are looking to have our wedding/reception on the beach and it seems that LLBC can really accomadate the full package, as i haven't really been able to find another location on the big island with the same style/setup. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. We dont have a huge budget, but we fell in love with the big island when went there a few years back. We are thinking about 20-25 people max attending the wedding. Also, any recommendations just on reception locations?

Texas
reviews: 15
1. Re: Wedding and Reception on the big island next year!!!

I think you should be aware of the winds that could affect that area around LLBC; we spent quite a few mornings there in May from 8:30-11:00 or so, and the wind was fine--just light breeze, but depending, that area can get quite breezy, so find out more about time of day that would be good, etc.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 28
2. Re: Wedding and Reception on the big island next year!!!

There are several other locations on the Kohala Coast which can provide oceanfront or oceanview weddings.

Hali'i Kai weddings - castleresorts.com/Home/…

Mauna Lani weddings - http://www.maunalani.com/r_w_overview.htm

Hapuna Prince weddings - princeresortshawaii.com/hapuna-beach-prince-…

Hilton Waikoloa Village weddings - www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/weddings/

Four Seasons - http://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/weddings/

Edited: 7:38 pm, June 15, 2013
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
3. Re: Wedding and Reception on the big island next year!!!

I think it's a good setup there. There are a few issues. Wind can be a factor, there's a reason the beach is known primarily as a windsurfing spot. The food at the restaurant is problematic. I believe events are usually catered by Paradise Gourmet which has an excellent reputation and a different chef from Lava Lava, but if you're planning on staying there/eating at the restaurant, that may be a factor. The cottages are not very private, the landscaping hasn't had a chance to fill in.

I really have no clue as to the pricing there versus other places, but the go to place on the island for destination weddings is the Four Seasons Hualalai, and for good reason. It also is a great reception venue.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
4. Re: Wedding and Reception on the big island next year!!!

As Shea said, the cottages donʻt have any privacy. Not only are they close together, but theyʻre right on a heavily used beach Itʻs designed as a party location; I donʻt see it as romantic.

I would not do an afternoon/sunset wedding on Anaehoʻomalu Bay. The potential for wind (not breeze, whipping wind) is too high at that time of day. In the morning it is quite lovely, and the water is a beautiful color at that tie. This same area was used by the Marriott for wedding before Lava Lava came along.

It wouldnʻt be my favorite because it is so busy, but if you arenʻt bothered by strangers walking by your wedding, that may not matter.

5. Re: Wedding and Reception on the big island next year!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 17, 2014