We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paniolo Greens

Saskatchewan, Canada
reviews: 1
Paniolo Greens

Anyone stay at Paniolo Greens condos, we are booked in Oct 14-20. Looks like decent condos to stay in and close to the better beaches. We arrive two days after Ironman. I am hoping things will have quietened down on the big island or does it stay busy for quite awhile after too? We have reserved our vehicle already.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
1. Re: Paniolo Greens

Things should have quieted down a whole lot, and it is more Kailua Kona that gets the crush.

Many people have stayed at PG, and it is reviewed here, and there are a few forum members who like it. I am very familiar with the Waikoloa Village, used to live there, and have stayed in some other condos there.

A lot of people dislike the Village, because it feels kind of sterile and is VERY windy at times, but if you are saving a substantial amount on the rental, itʻs a reasonable trade off from being down at the more happening Waikoloa Beach Resort -- particularly if you plan to cook in.

Downside of the Village is nowhere to eat dinner thatʻs any good. Has a few options for lunch. Lava Java is a new addition that is a welcome change. I gather they serve into the evening.

The big plus is as you noted, proximity to the best beaches without paying the cost of staying 10 minutes closer.

If you do go down the hill or the coast for dinner, and if you like to drink with dinner (many do), you need to be aware that the road back is watched very closely by the police, and they will be all over the slightest weeble. Best is if at least one of you can be the DD. Aside from that issue, itʻs a short but not very enjoyable 6 miles back up the hill. There always seems to be some bozo who has to pass on a curve because he or she just canʻt wait, and itʻs very dark.

The location is terrific for day trips and sightseeing though.

I also find the sunsets over the golf course there are very fine. I hope you have an ocean view. I would not want a ground floor unit on the golf course, due to all the maintenance, and less view.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 20
2. Re: Paniolo Greens

When you check in at PG, ask for an upper unit. I like the two-floor plan better and I prefer the units facing the golf course, myself - nearer the pool. It can get windy up there and you do get used to the drive up to Waikoloa Village. It is quite handy to the Kohala coast, to Waimea and to the Saddle Road. Waimea has 3 farmers markets that I really enjoyed - two on Saturday and one on Wednesday. Between the grocery store in WV, the fish market in Kawaihea and the two supermarkets in Waimea, we had an excellent selection of food for cooking in. I hope that big birds on the loose don't frighten you: PG has a healthy population of the biggest turkeys that I have ever seen! When you go out on your balcony, they come running below hoping for a hand-out. :-)

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
3. Re: Paniolo Greens

Sorry. I think staying in Waikoloa Village is a poor choice.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
4. Re: Paniolo Greens

Well, I think it's often a better choice than Kailua Kona for beach access. You're only ten minutes away from the better beaches and snorkeling.

My main issue is there are so many affordable condos at Waikoloa Beach and the Mauna Lani now, that unless you have a longer stay, I don't think the relatively small price savings usually make it worth the drive up and down the hill. But for people and families on extremely tight budgets looking in the $100/nt range, I think it can be a workable choice.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
5. Re: Paniolo Greens

Staying in Waikoloa Village is all about price -- saving money. You canʻt compare it as if the choice were to stay somewhere else in South Kohala for the price, without getting into apples vs. oranges, because nothing else is comparably affordable.

If the monetary savings are not important and substantial, then it could well be a poor choice, but for staying in a pricey area on a tight budget it works well. Just understand that you get what you pay for and that the location is a sacrifice in some respects.

Yes, there are wild turkeys and goats too on the golf course. The turkey bands roam the entire Village.

Edited: 10:17 pm, April 06, 2013
Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
6. Re: Paniolo Greens

To clarify, my reply was to PareoB. Sheaʻs post wasnʻt up when I replied. I agree that there are places fairly close in price range at Waikoloa Beach Resort. Thatʻs why I said the savings should be substantial. Itʻs a good solution for longer stays. In a week you may not save that much money.

Canada
reviews: 24
7. Re: Paniolo Greens

As others have noted, Paniolo Greens is a budget option up the hill in Waikoloa Village......VERY windy.

The drive up and down the hill gets old quick.

I will say the Bakery at the village market is very good.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
8. Re: Paniolo Greens

As far as the infamous wind goes, I would never say the Village is not a wind tunnel much of the time.

However, when a complex is built so that the lanai is on the makai side, generally the wind is not an issue if it is built right. I spent many an evening enjoying my Waikoloa Village lanai as the sun set over the ocean, and the same with the condo that we had. The wind there comes down off the mountain, and as long as the lanai faces the ocean and preferable has a solid divider on each side, it can be very nice.

Saskatchewan, Canada
9. Re: Paniolo Greens

Thanks for al the replies, not that great news about being windy. Is October weather all right though? I didn't realize it was up a hill! We stayed close to the Sheraton past Kailua Kona last time and didn't like the drive to the good beaches. It was not windy there at all at our resort though, oh well have to take some good with the bad. We are just excited to be coming back to the big island.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
10. Re: Paniolo Greens

Given that you didnʻt really know where you were staying, are you sure you donʻt want to reconsider the choice or at least do some more research on where youʻll be? There is no month of the year when itʻs not windy in Waikoblowa Village, as it is know. There are stretches when itʻs not windy, but you canʻt call it by the month; it just happens.

Have you considered the condos at Waikoloa Beach Resort?

I wasnʻt going to discourage you, but that was before I found out you didnʻt have a proper sense of the location.