We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikoloa or Oahu?

chicago
reviews: 5
Waikoloa or Oahu?

We are hoping to travel in December and hope to stay 11 nights. We have to stay at a Hilton and need to pick between Hilton Waikoloa Village in Honolulu or The Bay Club on Big Island. We love hiking, beaches, snorkeling, swimming with dolphins and want to see a volcano. I have 2 kids 9 and 12 years old. Any advice for me on which place you would reccomend?

Kona
reviews: 36
1. Re: Waikoloa or Oahu?

Just FYI, swimming with wild dolphins is illegal in Hawaii. You must stay at least 150 feet away. You can read more about the issue by clicking on the two links to the right of the page that have more information.

Please watch them from shore, and don't contribute to the problem of declining dolphin populations due to constant harassment from people who want to "swim with" them, thus interrupting their natural resting behavior during the daytime.

Of course, if you want to take the kids to see an active volcanic region, you can't do that on any other island except Hawaii Island. Hiking, beaches and snorkeling are available on all the islands in Hawaii.

If you do stay in Waikoloa, definitely go for the Bay Club over the Hilton Waikoloa Village, unless you don't mind staying in a huge noisy zoo of a hotel. With kids, it's so much more convenient having a kitchen - and the food at Hilton Waikoloa Village ranges from so-so to pretty bad.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
2. Re: Waikoloa or Oahu?

I would go with the Bay Club. I agree with everything wahine says.

It is best to double book a night in Volcano (or fly into KOA and out of Hilo or vice versa) to fully explore VNP, get to see nighttime lava action, if any, and avoid the very long day trip. Lodging in Volcano is very reasonable.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
3. Re: Waikoloa or Oahu?

I assume you meant to write you are choosing between Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu, and a choice of Hilton Waikoloa Village or Bay Club condos on the Big Island? That is three choices?

I haven't been to HHV on Oahu, but I hear it is really big and crowded, and it is away from the heart of Waikiki.

I think the Big Island has more of what you say you like. I would pick the Bay Club, although I hear the Kings Land Hilton condos are better, the newer timeshare property affiliated with HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacations Club).

I would pick the condos for sure. For one thing it is time-consuming to get in and out of the Hilton, and you list a lot of off-property interests. I would pick the easy come and go option of the condo.

Oahu does not have good snorkeling in the winter and mediocre in comparison at best of times.

As was said, please do not swim with our dolphins. The very phrase raises blood pressure on this forum.

The Hilton has, sadly, a captive dolphin lagoon, where the poor dolphins are unable to swim in the deep water they are are born to explore, and are forced to interact based on threats of withholding food. Also, they have to be pumped full of meds to survive in the environment. It is just tragic to us that this is allowed here. Such shows are illegal on Maui, by vote of the people.

Rent or Netflix the Oscar-winning movie "The Cove" and you will have a better understanding of the brutal practices of the ugly dolphinarium industry.

chicago
reviews: 5
4. Re: Waikoloa or Oahu?

I really had no idea! I'm so thankful for the heads up about this subject. We love dolphins and just would be thrilled to see them swimming free. My daughter is dolphin obsessed and I will educate her about this. Hopefully we can just see some swimming in the distance :)

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
5. Re: Waikoloa or Oahu?

Awesome response.

There are far fewer dolphins these days, but if you take a boat tour that does NOT chase dolphins, which is OK, then often they will come and ride the bows.

6. Re: Waikoloa or Oahu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 26, 2014