We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Marriott?

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 36
Which Marriott?

Husband and I are looking to use our points for our first visit to the Big Island next January.

We can stay either 6 nights at the Waikoloa Marriott or split it with 4 nights in Courtyard King in Kailua-Kona and 2 in the Kohala coast

We are looking for snorkeling , nice beaches and areas nearby to explore.

I have been reading about the size of the Marriott rooms being tiny but that won't concern me much if the rest of the property is worth it.

Most likely will be flying into Kona and after our Marriott stay out of Hilo onward to Maui.

thanks for all advice.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
1. Re: Which Marriott?

For beaches, best weather, and best snorkeling (depending on ocean conditions), it's the Marriott Waikoloa. I wouldn't split the time.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: Which Marriott?

Waikoa followed by a non points stay somewhere on the east side for one or two nights if you are flying out of ITO. Be sure to check on timing and availability of the limited nonstop flights to OGG, or you will have to go through HNL.

Edited: 3:44 pm, February 11, 2013
Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 36
3. Re: Which Marriott?

Wow what concerns me are the terrible and poor reviews for the Waikoloa

California
reviews: 30
4. Re: Which Marriott?

Waikoloa by far. It's no high end hotel like some of the others on the Kohala Coast but it is a good solid place to stay. In your price (points) range it's a nice hotel in a great area. Far nicer than being in town.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
5. Re: Which Marriott?

Well it is the lowest quality hotel in South Kohala and the cheapest, but before the Courtyard was renovated by the prior owners, it had deteriorated into an absolute dump.

What worries you about the reviews?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 69
6. Re: Which Marriott?

I just read through the TA reviews and they're pretty solid. Most of the negative ones say what we've already pointed out and you already knew...small rooms. The Courtyard has some pretty brutal reviews too but overall good.

Bear in mind, these are budget hotels for the location, which some of the reviews seem not to understand. Neither of these are going to knock your socks off. The Courtyard Marriott has recently been renovated, but is in what I consider a poor location in Kailua Kona, overlooking the rather unkempt pier on a small, barely beach that isn't very clean and fronts a murky lagoon, an hour from the beaches and sunshine of the Kohala Coast. There can be lots of noise and fights and revelrie from the patrons walking around at night after leaving the area bars.

The Waikoloa Marriott is in nice sunny South Kohala, on Anaehoomalu Beach, which isn't a great beach, but it is good for strolling, has lots of turtles and good sunsets, and you're 5-10 minutes from all the rest of the island's good beaches and lots of snorkeling and ocean access options. There are also better restaurant choices in Waimea and the resort areas IMO than in Kailua Kona.

The rooms are larger at the Courtyard, but not by much. The pool is better at the Waikoloa Beach location.

I notice the Courtyard has some reviews about the lousy rooms you get when using points.

Edited: 1:36 pm, February 12, 2013
7. Re: Which Marriott?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 14, 2014