We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

Perth
reviews: 44
Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

Hi members, can someone please give me a run down on the areas of the Big Island, plus an idea of what's do-able in four days or so. Also I am not certain which airport we should fly into (coming from either Kauai or Maui). We are a family of three (one teen daughter) looking to spend some time on more than one of the islands of Hawaii (yes I know it's a big ask but we are coming a looooong way so we want to see as much as possible, and we are very experienced travellers who travel light and fully understand how much time will be lost in island hopping). We would like to see some of the volcano (with lava flowing if possible??), open to the idea of a helicopter tour, prefer to hire a car than go on any guided tours, would like to stay ocean-side, don't need 4 or 5 star, happy to stay in condos or rentals rather than flash resorts, dont wish to stay anywhere where we have to pay a resort fee, and like to sight-see (just not ten hours' worth at a time!!!). I have read a lot of posts already, but with no clear idea of what each of the areas of the island mean, I don't know where to start. Any help you can offer me is greatly appreciated!! Thanks...

21. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 26, 2013
Edited: 2:15 am, January 26, 2013
22. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:25 am, January 26, 2013
Edited: 2:25 am, January 26, 2013
Washington DC...
reviews: 230
23. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

IFeet, from your reviews and posts you appear to be a capable traveler who can make up your mind what makes sense for you. I hope you have a great trip! Enjoy.

Perth
24. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

Thank you Honu, you understand, and have described us perfectly - I am sure we will totally enjoy the places we choose to visit in our time in Hawaii... PS good idea flying to Exmouth, best way to see two totally different areas, travelling from a coastal plain over the vast expanse of desert red-ness that is the Pilbara, into the almost tropical feel of Exmouth. Mahalo to all.

Perth
25. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

KK, we will spend three nights staying in Volcano and spending time in VNP, perhaps a hike to see lava (Kalapana if thats what it takes, not sure, will research that closer to the time as its so variable), plus relax and enjoy the atmosphere. We will then travel to Kona and see some of the west side of the island, again taking time to relax and enjoy. Forgive me, but I dont think I have missed anyone's point, I get that there is a lot to see and do and that we wont see and do it all at once, but then again we didnt expect to.

26. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, January 26, 2013
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
reviews: 9
27. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

my-carhire,

Soliciting/advertising is against trip advisory is against trip advisor guidelines for posting on forums.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
28. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

It sounds like you have a plan. I thought you only planned 3-4 nights from your top post, as you said four days, but from your last post it sounds like you plan more than that?

>>> Forgive me, but I dont think I have missed anyone's point, I get that there is a lot to see and do and that we wont see and do it all at once, but then again we didnt expect to.

I think that point goes without saying for travel to most destinations, but we were trying to convey something more specific about Hawai'i. Definitely not the gist of the point I was trying to make with respect to repeated island hopping, but maybe I didn't say it well enough. No matter, a visit to Hawai'i is a wonderful thing.

Perth
29. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

Just to let all the posters who replied to my OP that we have six nights and five days on Hawai'i, with three nights in Volcano (did the lava trek from Kalapana), and then had three further nights on the Kona side. We had a fab time, saw as much as was possible in those days and will definitely be back... mahalo!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
30. Re: Descriptions of areas, what to see, where to stay

Very glad you were able to allocate a little more time to the island than you had initially planned. Please do write a trip report when you get a chance!