We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

Atascadero, Ca
reviews: 4
Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

Hi,

My husband and I are planning on booking a Manta Ray snorkel tour in February. Some tours have everyone hang on one ring or surfboard. From pictures, it seems too crowded and squished with people to be enjoyable. I was thinking of booking with Honu Divers because they let you be free in the water with a noodle or something. If I am free in the water, will I need to worry about current taking us too far away from the boat. We are pretty good swimmers and snorkelers, but it is dark and we want to stay safe. We have never snorkeled at night before. Any thought or opinions on what is a better way to go regards to the tours?

New Orleans...
reviews: 83
1. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

No worries about your safety, but about the manta rays' safety. You have to be able to float flat, like a plank, for the 45 min that you are watching the rays. If your knee, toe, etc accidentally brushes (via kicking to stay afloat) against the manta rays while they are swimming next to you, then the manta rays are prone to infection at the site of contact.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
2. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

Personally, if I was a SCUBA diver I would do the night manta ray dive but the snorkel wasn't worth the time or money.

new hampshire
reviews: 67
3. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

I have to disagree with Zubsin. I did the snorkel and it was the most amazing thing I have ever done in my entire life!

My husband dives and I do not, this night dive with Kona Honu which offers both was a way for us to experience this "together". They give you the noodle and a wet suit which also helps tremendously with your boyancy. I was very nervous about jumping in but they did a great job calming my fears and once I saw the mantas I just enjoyed every second of it.

Depending on where you anchor, you do have to swim a little to the site where the mantas gather but it really wasnt an issue. You still have to deal with the crowds somewhat but you can go wherever you want.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
reviews: 21
4. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

We went last year w/Fair Wind. It didn't seem too crowded with it being full.Can't remember their limit. But even holding on to the rope & being surrounded by others, it was totally amazing! You got to do it!

United States
reviews: 25
5. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

I'm surprised anyone thought it wasn't worth the time. It is completely amazing.

You don't have to worry about currents. It's not bad at all. It's still very much enjoyable with the loop if you choose that option.

Snorkeling is amazing but diving is even more amazing if you are able to do that (but if you aren't, you won't be disappointed with snorkeling)

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 8
6. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

Hey we did the snorkeling with Honu Divers on Friday and held on to the surf board. We have done it before with them and were floating on our own with a flash light. I would go again with them but do the flash light as its brighter. Some companys seem to have brighter lights on there boards/floating rings but Kona honu has a bigger boat and they seem more professional and are a great team. Request a flash light and you will have a blast!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
7. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

Sadly, the six people in my group all felt it was a waste of time & money. Having to hold on the flotation device and it was crowded. We are all advanced swimmers and snorkelers and 2 divers so we couldn't figure out how to enjoy the trip. We felt "trapped" by the need to hold the flotation device. We felt it was the companies way to sell the DVD. I'd say within the first 20 minutes half the entire group was back on the boat. i was shocked to see so many people back on the boat when I got out of the water about 30 minutes in. Two people had motion sickness from having to hold on to the flotation device.

It's the good thing about TA you get a lot of different thoughts and ideas.

Atascadero, Ca
reviews: 4
8. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas about the floatation devices. Zubsin, what was the tour company that you went with that you felt trapped and crowded? Looking at website pictures from various tour groups, I worry that I will feel the same way. I hope to find a tour where we can be free individually and not connected to a ring. I do not scuba dive, only snorkel. Thank you again for all of your replies.

9. Re: Floatation devices used on Manta Ray Night Snorkel tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, December 17, 2013