We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split stay between two areas?

Which Island of Hawaii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
reviews: 36
Split stay between two areas?

My husband and I are planning to visit the Big Island for a week in May. We were thinking of splitting our stay with 2 nights in the Volcano area and 5 nights at the Mauna Lani. We should be able to fly into Hilo and out of KOA. Is this a good idea? We'd like to spend a full day exploring the park and thought staying in that area for part of the trip may save us some time. Thanks so much for your advice!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
1. Re: Split stay between two areas?

That is a good idea. It is a long day from Kona side to VNP, Maks seaure you can drop car

Edited: 11:18 pm, November 23, 2012
ON, Canada
reviews: 34
2. Re: Split stay between two areas?

Agree ... we'll be splitting our stay, arriving in Kona, flying out of Hilo. If you stay in Volcano (instead of Hilo) you can see the lava glow at night from the Jaggar Museum without having to drive back to Hilo after dark.

Are you going to another island as well?

Arlington, VA
reviews: 36
3. Re: Split stay between two areas?

Thanks so much. Yes, we are planning to pick up our car at Hilo and return it to koa. It's a bit more expensive that way but worth it I think to save a lot of driving time. We are going to Maui before the Big Island and flying back home from koa.

Washington DC...
reviews: 217
4. Re: Split stay between two areas?

Great idea, have a fun trip!

ON, Canada
reviews: 34
5. Re: Split stay between two areas?

<<"It's a bit more expensive that way but worth it I think to save a lot of driving time.>>

Yes ... that was the advice given to me here by the DE's and frequent BI travellers when I asked about it a few months ago...i.e. best to stay over at VNP at least one night, and not to drive across the island to catch a flight the same day.

Our trip is the reverse direction of yours ... we're starting on the Kohala Coast, a few days at VNP then on to Maui and home from there. Hawaiian has some direct flights between OGG and ITO.

6. Re: Split stay between two areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, December 16, 2013