We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

It's an official warning now, and coming straight at us. Probably not BIG but they are implementing evacuation protocol in Hilo (per the TV, local stations).

BUT, I am in the Hilo siren zone and the sirens have NOT been engaged, nor in Puna on the coast either. It's coming in 2 1/2 hours, so I don't know why not.

Have to run ... I'm not in the zone, but power could go out, etc., must go do my emergency assessment.

Fingers crossed Hilo will not be flooded!

Los Angeles...
1. Re: Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

Good Thoughts & Best Wishes!

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
2. Re: Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

Thanks!

They say Kawaihae harbor may be affected too.

I hear sirens are going off in Kona, but there are NO sirens going off on the east side from north of Hilo to Puna as of right now.

What's up with that?

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
3. Re: Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

I spoke to Civil Defense and they confirmed lots of calls saying no sirens where they should be.

Also I informed then the second cell phone alert did not go out. Only the early one saying NO tsunami.

Also some water systems are being turned off at 10 pm.

Kona
reviews: 36
4. Re: Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

Yes, we have had sirens going off here in South Kona since about 8 p.m.; just went down and moved the canoes to higher ground, and now the police have evacuated Honaunau and Napo'opo'o and closed off all the coastal roads.

Predictions are that Hilo is much more vulnerable to this particular tsunami - stay safe, KK!

Los Angeles
reviews: 57
5. Re: Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

Had to evacuate Kona Coast Resort for about 5 hours

tired today but all safe & fine

A first of 30 years of Hawaii trips!

Edmonton, Canada
6. Re: Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

Probably caused by 7.7 earthquake that hit the British Columbia coast on Saturday night. Hope all is now safe and sound.

7. Re: Tsunami headed for Hilo Bay at 10:30 pm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 01, 2013