We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serious Golfing on the Big Island

North Vancouver...
reviews: 16
Serious Golfing on the Big Island

Aloha!

We will be on the Big Island for 2 weeks in March with another family. The husbands are avid golfers and are planning to play between 10 and 14 rounds of golf during the 2 weeks. The wives (are a little more normal and) will likely play 5-6 rounds in total.

When we were in Maui earlier this year, we were able to purchase multi-round packages directly from the golf course and were able to save substantially on golf. For example, the Kaanapali courses offere an unlimited 7 day golf package for $600.

With the exception of the Hapuna and Mauna Kea courses, I don't see any other courses offering a multi-play deal ... or do they????

We are planning on purchasing 4 Hawaii Golf Cards to help save some money on golf. But, is there another way of saving some money on golf on the Big Island?

Mahalo!

ON, Canada
reviews: 34
1. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

I've been researching this as well for our upcoming trip. You might be able to find some deals on Golfnow.com. They have discounts at some courses that aren't included on the Hawaii Golf Card, and vice versa.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
reviews: 68
2. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

The only way to really know is call 'em and ask 'em. Mauna Lani specials vary by season (these are my two favorite courses aside from Hualalai). Non resort courses that are inexpensive but still good fun include Makalei and Big Island Country Club.

Salem, New Hampshire
reviews: 27
3. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

I highly recommend HawaiiGolfDeals.com

Their discount card at $60 will save you money on golf and certain resort restaurants. Plus they can put together a lodging, car and golf package that is very competitive. I found them easy to work with, too.

The package they put together for us (oceanfront room at Hapuna Prince, rental convertible, free parking and internet acess, and the $60 discount card) saved us more than $1000 over what I could book separately. That savings will pay for a few rounds of golf!

North Vancouver...
4. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

Thank you SusanM, SheaG and Mchall. Really appreciate your assistance. I will check out Golfnow.com as well as HawaiiGolfDeals.com.

SheaG, I will also take your advise and call the various Club Houses about a multi-round rate. Just because it's not published doesn't mean that they don't offer it, right?

What's the Kings and Beach courses like in Waikoloa? Do you like them? How do they compare to Makalei and the BI Country Club? Are there "less windy" courses? or are they all relatively windy? What other courses do you recommend?

Love to hear your thoughts and those of others who've played them.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
5. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

All of the courses on the Kohala Coast can be very windy, but I play them most weekends, and I'd say only about 10-15% of the time is it so windy that it makes it practically unplayable, at least for a hacker like me. Most of the time it's just breezy. Hopefully you won't get unlucky. Makalei and BICC are "mauka" courses up the mountain so seldom get any wind, and are nice and cool with lots of trees, peacocks, and other birds.

I'm not a big fan of the Waikoloa Beach courses. I just don't find them as scenic and quiet as the Mauna Lani and Mauna Kea courses. Hapuna isn't one of my favorites either, not nearly as well maintained or as interesting as the other choices.

oklahoma city
reviews: 1
6. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

I love mauna lani courses, especially the south. I agree wind usually blows but rarely is it unplayable. Haven't played waikoloa, but prefer hapuna to mauna kea. If you spent a night at 4 seasons you could play hualalai which is awesome. Remember however this is Hawaii there's no such thing as bad golf

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
7. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

Hualalai is easily my favorite course on the island, unfortunately as bob says you need to be a hotel guest or homeowner or the guest of one.

Most visitors prefer the Mauna Lani south over the north because it has more ocean side holes, I prefer the north course, it's always less crowded and I think more interesting. They do frequently have unpublished specials, and other than Hualalai are the nicest courses on the island, IMO, so do play both. Mauna Kea is very hard IMO, but gorgeous (and very expensive).

North Vancouver...
8. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

SheaG, I'm a hacker as well! But I love playing so it doesn't bother me that I suck at it! LOL!

We are staying at the Mauna Lani Fairways - thanks for your suggestion (from months back!) so I think that we should qualify for some sort of break on the green fees. You had mentioned "unpublished specials". Dumb question.... how does one find out about these unpublished specials? It would be perfect if we could golf both the North and South course the entire stay!

North Vancouver...
9. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

Bob..... Even without golf... I'd love to stay at the 4 Seasons Hualalai!!! Unfortunately we've already booked our 14 days at the ML Fairways. Furthermore, I dont' think I'd be able to afford the prices at the 4 Seasons - even for 1 night!!!!! LOL

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
10. Re: Serious Golfing on the Big Island

Just call the Mauna Lani golf course for their current specials when you arrive, they do twilight specials for tee times after 1pm or 2pm, and I've also seen 'play all day' rates and 36 hole rates.

I would also ask whoever you went through to book the Fairways if they can offer any kind of package or discount on golf rates. I don't know what the relationship is between the condos and the course.