We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

Milwaukee
Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

I have booked a "surprise" babysitter for one night of our trip, and have been thinking of going out for drinks + appetizers (beachy bar?) + maybe a nightime beach stroll -- befor getting back to the condo by 9:30pm. Since the sitter is so pricey, I thought just appetizers and drinks might be fun, as well as not using up all of the 3 hours allocated time in one-pop. We will be in the Kohala area, any suggestions for a good place to go for these ideas? I'd love to find a place thats not too stuffy, on the beach, with yummy appetizers + live music. Or at least a few of these things! Any suggestions?

Palm Springs...
reviews: 61
1. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

sorry... but in the Kohala region there is no beach bar... that is not part of a hotel or resort.... this is resort truff and there are no independent bars here.

Stay inm yoour area and enjoy at the Marriott or Hilton as the cheaper options in the area. The Mauna Kea and Mauuni Lani also have bars near the beach and within your .3 hour time.

Rochester Hills, MI
reviews: 1
2. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

We think it is most romantic at the Hapuna Prince.

Every night they have a musician and beautiful hula dancer perform. It is a few floors down from their lobby and it is so wonderful hearing the music, feeling the ocean breeze and sipping your favorite libation while munching on some pu-pus, PLUS, you can then take a stroll down to hapuna beach afterwards!

The ambiance is to me nicer there than say at the Mauna Lani or Hilton.

PS, the hula dancer has been the same one performing there for around 20 years. We talked with her for quite some time last year. Her sister sings occasionally too!

carmel
3. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

Aloha, Haulalai has a beach bar Beach Tree Bar and Grill also the Hapuna Prince has a nice pool side bar and grill. Guests are welcome at the hotel beach bars after all you are a paying guest.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 61
4. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

allow about 25 to 30 min travel time from your hotel to either the 4 seasons or Hapuna

Milwaukee
5. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

I should of said that we are staying at the W. Vista Condos, across from the Hilton. Is that still 25 min. from the H. Prince?

Thanks

carmel
6. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

Aloha, no it is about 7min to Hapuna from Waikoloa

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
7. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

Mrs. Wiz, that hula dancer was pulling your leg, the Hapuna Prince has not even been there for 20 years!

Rochester Hills, MI
reviews: 1
8. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

no, she was hula dancing for 20 years.

The Prince has only been there for about 10.

the trio and her and her sister have been performing for that long.

sorry, should have been more clear

Rochester,NY
reviews: 4
9. Re: Appetizers at a beachy bar in Kohala area?

If you're already in the Kohala region, while not on the beach, I'd recommend a drive up to the little town of Hawi and visit Bamboo. It's in a funky old building with a lot of history behind it- used to be a dry goods store among other things. They usually have great Hawaiian music by local musicians on Fri. and Sat. nights. Good, not too expensive food and drink, too. Has a definite old tropical south-seas feel to it. It's fun!