We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BI for a honeymoon?

Burien, Washington
reviews: 1
BI for a honeymoon?

My fiance and I are considering BI or Kauai for our honeymoon. What's important to us:

Romance - While we want some activities, we also want some private time, nice dinners, photo opportunities, etc.

Lodging - We prefer a condo, timeshare, B&B or similar. A resort is unnecessary. Beachfront is a must.

Activities - Boogie boarding, luau, mtn/volcano hikes, lying on the beach, restaurants, snorkeling/scuba, natural slides into pristine pools, kayaking, etc.

Transportation - We'll be using points to fly. Is a rental car necessary? What about scooters?

Weather - Sunshine, please. We're from Seattle. :)

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Palm Springs...
reviews: 68
1. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

Well....you got a problem

There are no condos or B&B are going to fill the bill.........sorry

Suggest the Mauna Kea or the Kona Village Resort......both have romance;dinners,beach and beachfront;luau and Kayaking at the hotel.

The Kona Village is all inclusive and includes evereything from meals to activities and is very private.......when you add up all the costs included it is the best deal..... it is individual huts. ........very class

Both of these are in the sunny-Kohala coast that gets 10 inches of rain a year and has 335 sunny days a year.

Activities there are no natural water slides into anythng..... Try the Sheraton or Hilton foor that

Best Scuba is with Honu Divers or Dive Makai.

Lots of good Hiking in Volcano national park a 3.5 to 4 hour drive one way.

Hawaii Forest and trails does a series of guided hikes and nature tours....even to the top of Mauna Kea....

Take a boat /snorkel/dolphin/ natural history tour.....to Capt Cook.... it will be cheaper than renting kayaks and all the assoociated coosts.

Many B&Bs charge as much or more than hotels and condos..... many are un-licenced and un regulated....so it can be a crap shoot. They are locate in remote spots which are far fron the palces too eat , tour and shop......llocation is important on this

Driving.....towns are 100 miles apart...

Lava Hiike is now closed by the park annd being too dangerous.. and un-stable you can get within a mile on foot. best to take an air tour or helo.... than is the only safe and legal way you will get to see lava flowing

Forget a scooter.....it will cost more than a car....after you pay between 50 and 100 each way to rent one.... and you will need 2.

cars run about 29 to 56 a day + tax. You must have one.....

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
reviews: 7
2. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

I second Kona Village Resort. We've been to Hawaii only once. First part in Oahu on North Shore at Turtle Bay Resort. Hated it.

Second part at Kona Village Resort. Expensive but totally awesome. So relaxing. Our rental car just gathered dust for 4 days, and we're normally VERY active on vacation.

Private Hales (Thatched roof "huts" with ac ...very nice ocean front accomodations.)

They had snorkel and dive excursions. Excellent food and a very nice Luau on Fridays.

Not a resorty type of resort AT ALL!

Burien, Washington
reviews: 1
3. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

One thing I should clarify: we're considering May or August, if that affects any recommendations.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
4. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

I believe May is the month Kona Village has no children's programs and therefore actively encourages people to leave kids home. Would make for an even more romantic honeymoon.

www.konavillage.com

Palm Springs...
5. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

this the place....the best....you only get one honeymoon......

Destin, Florida
reviews: 100
6. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

my husband and I are staying in a "honeymoon suite" directly on the water on the Kona Coast. It is very romantic. We found it through vrbo.com. If interested, I'll provide more detail. We are close to the action but a car would be a must. The only drawback with this one is that you would have to keep your fingers crossed that no one rents the upstairs of the house. We rented it for our mom and her sister and it has worked out perfectly for us.

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
7. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

Both May and September are "no kids" months at the Kona Village.

Palm Springs...
8. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

In my opinion The Kona Village is the total package you want...... it has it all and is private.... hotel grounds are 2 miles from the entrance gate. Private, south seas atmosphere..... Elvis used this as a get-away at times..... Has its own private Helo pad and air strip...... outstanding meals.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
9. Re: BI for a honeymoon?

Agree! We had kids with us, but please read my review from, umm, around October or early November 2005. I believe I am referred to as, "A Trip Advisor Member, Parker, Colorado".

The only other place in the world that has soothed me (us) like Kona Village is the island of St. John, USVI...and I'm now in my early 40's and have travelled every single chance I've gotten- mostly to islands!!!

Kona is the best unless you want to be pampered like you are at the 4 Seasons or something. There's something low key, natural, but upscale about this place that is just wonderful. Loved it!!