We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

Elk Grove...
reviews: 2
Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

We will be visiting the BI for the fourth time in June, and needless to say we are very much ooking forward to it. I believe the one and only organized tour we will do will be a horsback ride through Waipio Valley.

Is the Na'alapa Stables tour the best option? Is it better to go in the morning or afternoon... or does it matter? Getting there by 9:00 AM would mean a very early departure from our Kona condo, but we will do it if it is a better time of day to be in the valley.

Thanks.

Kim

Ocoee, Florida
reviews: 7
1. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

I believe Naalapa Stables is the only horseback option to go down into Waipio Valley. The other, Waipio Ridge Stables, follows a trail that skirts the rim up the eastern flank of the valley, ending up at the top of Hiilawe Falls (did it back in 2002).

If you know how to operate a 4x4 Jeep, you could rent one and drive down in yourself. The HDLNR info officer by the Lookout is a great source for info. He has a map that shows where you can and cannot drive down there. Here it is in case you miss him:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17144603@N02/4410846008/in/set-72157623506353637/

Be sure to read the description posted on that page below that photo.

Then all you need to do is take the rim horseback ride and you will have seen it from both angles.

It is lovely!

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
2. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

Is there another option? No one ever mentions any other horseback riding option for Waipi'o.

In general when you have an east facing valley it will get more light in the morning, but in June the sun is far to the north and one can actually see the sunset from Hamakua coast. Anyway, would it be late or early afternoon?

I say get up and get going when it feels good to you, but I haven't done the ride so mine won't be the best opinion out there as for comparing the two times.

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
3. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

Here we go again. :(:(:( BCT just can't stay away from promoting illegal activities. "If you know how to operate a 4x4 Jeep, you could rent one and drive down in yourself."

To the OPC, before you do such an ill-advised thing, check with your rental car company.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
4. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

My crew did the morning trip and loved, loved it! It really wasn't a bad drive from the Kona area...just allow time for the usual morning traffic. And allow plenty of time to check out the Valley ArtWorks...wonderful stuff.

Elk Grove...
5. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

During our first trip to the BI (in 2004), we rented a 4 X 4 Jeep Cherokee, and we did drive it down into the valley. We had read the "Blue Book" and decided it would be a fun adventure. We did make it down and back, and it was an amazing day, but in retrospect, we were very lucky that we didn't get break down or get stuck down there.

Knowing what I now know, we will not be driving down there again in a rental car.

The afternoon horseback riding tour is from 1:00 to 3:30. I guess we will try to make it up there in time for the morning tour. Maybe we should do it early in the trip while our bodies are still on CA time. :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 13
6. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

Good call on going early in the trip...also very nice to hear that some TA users can be educated! :-)

Kona, Hawaii
reviews: 5
7. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

Love love love the Na'alapa Stables tour!!! So many guests I know say it was the highlight of their trip, so glad you are going to do it.

Elk Grove...
8. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

Adeline, do you think we should make reservations ahead of time? If so, how soon?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 35
9. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

Go here kimwilli to make your reservations:

http://www.naalapastables.com/waipio.html

The sooner the better. We were not charged until we actually had taken the ride.

Edited: 2:56 pm, April 09, 2010
Kona, Hawaii
reviews: 5
10. Re: Waipio Valley Horseback Tour

I know some visitors who were disappointed because they waited too long and Na'alapa Stables was full up.