We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condos on Big Island (Hilo)?

Bengaluru...
reviews: 2
Condos on Big Island (Hilo)?

I actually have 2 questions -

We (family of 4) are planning a 10 day trip to Hawaii in Dec. Originally I was planning only on Maui and Oahu, but the lure of an active volcano on Hawaii makes me want to do a quick trip (1 day, 1 night) there as well. Is this really such a WOW experience and worth the effort?

If we do decide to go, are there good condo accommodations near Hilo? My choice woul be to stay close to the Volcano Natnal Park and not drive all the way from Kona, but I would like a condo with some reasonable grocery shopping nearby.

Any thoughts/help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Palm Springs...
reviews: 68
1. Re: Condos on Big Island (Hilo)?

I fear you wont find anythting near Hilo or the volcano... just B&B. ( which are a mixed bag pick very careful ) and the older worn hotels..... it is not a resort area... but rural residential for the most part.

DOnt even bother with a day visit.... it will frustrate you no end.

There is too much to see on every side..... too many great options.

see it in sections it is 9x Ohau and 4x Maui.

BIG

carmel
2. Re: Condos on Big Island (Hilo)?

Aloha rsata, for help on condo's look at the condo Hawaii site on trip advisors. Hilo is worth a visit and there are some inerestig tings to see.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
3. Re: Condos on Big Island (Hilo)?

The volcano is something you will not see anywhere else. It is a wow experience...HOWEVER, if you are spending only one day and one night, you will want to spend it all at the Volcano (very easy to kill a day here). I wouldn't bother with a condo and grocery shopping for such a short trip -- you could just stay at Volcano House. I haven't stayed there, but if you're just there for a night, it can't be too bad.

I had some friends who stayed at a house near the volcano called toad hollow or frog hollow (or something to do with a frog :) and they thought it was great for a family sort of place but again -- do you want to stock up on groceries and such for 1 day?

Otherwise, you might consider either spending more time or seeing the Big Island on another trip. There is quite a lot to do there and 1 day is just sort of a teaser....

Keno, OR
4. Re: Condos on Big Island (Hilo)?

Do consider the amount of time it will take to fly in and out of the Big Island--the better part of a day, total, which always seems to wear me out when we island hop. However, the Volcano area (and the volcano itself, of course) are wonderful to visit and it seems to me that a trip to Hawaii would be incomplete without it. We have stayed near the Volcanoes National Park on both of our trips, and chose a delightful two bedroom B&B with wonderful accommodations (lots of delicious food provided as well). It is in the village of Volcano, about a mile or less from the entrance to the Park, and is called the Volcano TeaPot Cottage. One bedroom has a double (or queen, maybe) 4 poster bed, and the other has two twin beds. There is a large dining area, good sized living room, small kitchen, full bath, and a laundry room (comes in very handy toward the middle or end of a trip, rather than having to find a laundromat somewhere). This is a very peaceful, private setting, and we have found it to be just the "home away from home" we look for in lodgings. (Also exceptionally clean and with lots of extra "creatyure comforts"). The Volcano Lodge (right on the rim of the crater) is reportedly (a friend recently stayed there) very simple, rooms are dated and worn, but the view is incredible. If flowing lava was visible from the Lodge (it wasn't on our last trip in December), that would be an amazing place to stay! Good luck on your quest for a look at the lava--quite a cool experience and one you'll never forget!