We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coqui/Koki Frogs

Cape Cod
reviews: 6
Coqui/Koki Frogs

My husband and I are traveling to the Big Island in March and have just heard about the frogs. We will spend several days on each of the West and East coasts. Does anyone have recent travel to the Island of Hawaii who could describe the experience of the frogs - from what I read, they are very loud and can interfere with sleep. Thank you.

Island of Hawaii...
reviews: 24
1. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

It depends on who do you ask. Some people find them noisy but I own a house on the East side and visit regularly, the sound of coquis quickly put me to sleep and I sleep better there than anywhere else. I actually miss them the last month or so, they are hybernating because of the unusually cold evenings and nights.

Lexington, South...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

I'm with TT, I enjoy them in moderation. But I know several Hilo/Puna residents who beg to differ. I'll admit at certain places they can go from being a nice background sound to a dull or constant roar of noise.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
3. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

The frogs don't interfere with my sleep but they annoy me while I'm awake. As background noise they are OK, but if one or two frogs are under the window, their two-note call can really grate on nerves. It's a piercing whistle sound.

I think the annoyance factor is validated by the fact that the County has an eradication program, that there are funds available to help landowners control them, and that they are disclosed on real estate purchases (and can affect property value). I've heard them compared to cicadas, but I've never heard that cicadas have prompted this level of response.

Bring ear plugs and you should be fine. Honestly, I am much more disturbed by middle of the night crowing roosters and howling dogs that are such a lovely feature of rural Hawai`i. ;-)

Where do you plan to stay that you have frog concerns?

I can possibly tell you if they'll be loud there.

Lexington, South...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

KK makes a good point about their proximity. Listen to this and see how you feel about them (or at least one of them).

hawaiianstyle.org/tripadvisor/coqui_frog.wav

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
5. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

KK, I actually enjoy hearing the roosters at night, the close-by crow, then answering calls fading into the distance. Sort of like listening to coyotes at night in Arizona.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 65
6. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

We stayed north of downtown Hilo for 2 nights in March 2007. Coqui noise was prevalent there, but to all in our 4-person party, the noise didn't keep us awake or drive us to distraction.

But to give you an idea of how noisy it can be, I could detect coqui noise above that of our car as we traveled 50 mph in the rain.

Hilo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 4
7. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

pzp, I know you Kaua`i folks have the most roosters and kind of have to embrace their presence ...

curious, by close-by call, what are we talking?

I've lived with a very loud rooster directly under my bedroom window, and at five feet away from my head I find the noise very annoying!

When I went on vacation in the South Pacific I didn't let the roosters bother me.

I think it's different on vacation. We are in such good spirits. Plus, it is all temporary. Compare that to a landowner who remembers quiet nights and now knows, with a certainty, that the frog chorus will always be there, from now on, night after night, unless he or she packs it in and moves.

The last few nights of cold shut them up and it was AMAZING to have actual quiet ... (TT and I are the opposite on this one)

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 40
8. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

KK, yes, I mean right under the window. It's interesting to note all the different calls, too. Obviously a territorial thing. I actually saw an authentic cockfight last week - chickens only, no spectators - but they were really going at each other.

I have to say that I like hearing coquis --- IN PUERTO RICO!!! They don't belong in Hawai`i. I know there was some stink by people of PR descent living here about us wanting to eradicate their national symbol, but heck, if we let all national symbols loose here we'd have kangaroos and emus here, too. (No flames, please. I love PR, too.)

reviews: 2
9. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

Aloha. I just returned from the Big Island, where I stayed at my aunt and uncle's house on Hilo Bay for 10 days. I lived in Hawaii for 8 years and I am sad and angry that this frog has been introduced into the native Hawaiian ecosystem. They were incredibly loud, at least where we were, on Hilo Bay. I remember being able to sit and talk story at night on my aunt and uncle's lanai overlooking the ocean, but now you can barely hear yourselves talk over the noise of the koki frogs, let alone hear the sound of the ocean. We were able to deal with the noise at night by closing our sliding glass door and by buying ear plugs, but I would rather have gone to sleep with the doors and windows open to the sound of the ocean. The frogs start up at dusk and go until sunrise. You can even hear them while you're driving in your car with the windows up and music on. Sorry to the people of Puerto Rico, but would you please take your frogs back? They do not belong in Hawaii.

Hamakua
10. Re: Coqui/Koki Frogs

In some areas in and around Hilo, Pahoa and Puna the frogs are loud enough that you can't talk outside, can't sleep with the windows open and are really annoying. The frogs are also spreading across the island so inevitably they will be in Kona, too. Compared to how lovely it was before the frogs, it is a a huge shame. Also, the frogs breed here much better than in Puerto Rico so pretty soon they will become a symbol of Hawaii instead of Puerto Rico. Wish we could move them all back home so their national symbol won't be in peril of becoming someone else's symbol.

At the beginning it is one or two coqui frogs in an area and they are kinda cute sounding. Then, by the time getting rid of them in that particular area is too late, there are so many their call is a deafening high pitched roar instead of an individual two-toned high pitch sound.

Bring ear plugs.