We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sunset Cruise Kailua-Kona?

Which Island of Hawaii hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
reviews: 60
Best Sunset Cruise Kailua-Kona?

We are staying at the Hale Kona Kai 4/22 - 5/5. we plan a variety of activities, (slug at the beach mostly) - snorkel with Dolphin Discoveries, Hapuna Beach, volcano, hang out at the Royal Kona next door for evening entertainment, more slug activity with book in hand and brew in cooler.

However, we don't find a lot of mention of the different sunset cruises. What is the talk story about Captain Beans versus other cocktail cruises. we don't care really if it includes dinner, - drinks and puu puus would be fine. want hawaiian music and the sunset mostly. what is the best deal. any rants or raves?

I missed the whales this year, eh? we got to see a whole whale soup of them last year off Maui with our sunset sail. Are there still some around? Anything else anyone can tell me? thanks eh, (mahalo in hawaii-speak)

Palm Springs...
reviews: 55
1. Re: Best Sunset Cruise Kailua-Kona?

Aloha.....

Well the last humpback left the area April 9th......which is normal. We do have several other species that are smaller, that live here yearound.

If it were me I would choose a cocktail sail with anyone rather than the dinner cruise. It will cost about $130 for 2 plus tips and tax.

I think The Four Seasons would be good to but these two hotels are about 20 miles north of kona, Huggos is 1 mile.

If you want a sunset experience go to mauna Lani canoe house and have drinks and a lite dinner for the same. Or Huggos, on the rail seats..... for about $ 80

If you want the ultimate sunset.....then buy some booze and drive a Harper 4x4, to the top of mauna Kea at almost 14,000

and the booze will go furthur. and just be off the mountain 30 min after sunset.....

Washington State
reviews: 60
2. Re: Best Sunset Cruise Kailua-Kona?

hawaiidan: all fantastic ideas - thanks. but....why off the mountain 30 min after sunset ? something we should know about after dark? or just the mountain? I know there are spots some say not exactly safe after dark, but the mountain? and I could find a bottle of wine no biggie and take it in a cooler and sit up there, no prob.

so...does the 4 seasons actually have a boat? or Huggos? or are u just saying go to the restaurant and see the sunset with dinner and drinks at the restaurant. cause what I was looking for was a water experience, I love boats and being on the water.....do you have a recommendation for on the water, or is 4 seasons and huggos it cause they have a boat cruise?

THANKS

Palm Springs...
3. Re: Best Sunset Cruise Kailua-Kona?

Aloha.........

First......the Mountain. it is critical to be off the mountain before dark because your head and tail lights will mess up the

readings and set-ups for the big telescopes there...... USA, France, Japan,England, Cat Tech, MIT.....to name a few for that night....... The Keck can resolve to 1/1.000.000 th of an arc second and works on the principal of gathering light and its wave lenghts... from tens of thousands of of light years away.

Lights anywhere near the scopes spells disaster and since an evening costs over $40,000 or more you could have a lot of mad people.........

They have free tours at 1 pm each sat and sunday. AND from 6-10 EACH EVENING offer a free astronomy and star party for all.....with very serious small telescopes of 8 to 14 inch in size.

If you do this the only rental that can go there is Harper 4x4s

And read my posts on the Saddle Road for details.

Look not at the sunset but to the East ...to see the earths actual shadowline projected into space.........it is wild

Four seasons has ther bar as does Huggos. Red Sails leaves the Waikoloa Beach area with a boat......but Kona has then too.....I have never taken one as I spend a lot of time on boats and it is no big deal to me........guess I should to be able to give some info.......

HD.

Palm Springs...
4. Re: Best Sunset Cruise Kailua-Kona?

Aloha....

.. I forgot to mention........be careful with booze at Mauna Kea........a glass of wine at the summit is equal to 4 or 5 on the beach. in its effects.

Also dress like you are going to the snow.....it is about 40 to 50 degrees colder up there than at your condo so when it is 80 on the beach you will find freezing temps and then there is the wind chill..... it will feel like ZERO.....there is snow and ice up there.....no joke