We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two to three days on Georgia stopover .

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin-Ireland
reviews: 32
Two to three days on Georgia stopover .

my wife and I are flying through Atlanta on the way back to ireland from elsewhere.

Rather than flying straight through on connection ,I am seriously considering spending two nights extra somewhere around a part of America I have not been to previously.

Heres the question we are you modern mid forties ,enjoy wine and beautiful towns/restaurants.

Could I be so bold as to ask for advice on what -outside Atlanta should we do .

Are there wonderful, friendly beautiful and typically southern towns with great restaurants nearby that we should see.

Are there great old typical non chain hotels or B and Bs that could be recommended .

We will have a rental car so we can trip around a bit.

What would you do itenerary wise to best spend two or three days and say we had best used our stopover?

many thanks in advance for every response.

Kind regards Emmet

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 279
1. Re: Two to three days on Georgia stopover .

Besides Savannah you might enjoy a stop in the Madison/Athens area. Athens is home to University of Georgia and nice bars/music, etc. downtown. Madison is home to historic homes and some nice restaurants.

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 28
2. Re: Two to three days on Georgia stopover .

I second Athens. It's a wonderful, lively college town. When are you going to be in the area? If it's during football season (early September through November), and if you think you might want to spend the night, make hotel reservations now.

canuckinidaho
3. Re: Two to three days on Georgia stopover .

If you are looking for a B&B, you could look at Ashford Manor. This is in Watkinsville, which is halfway between Athens and Madison. Also, in Madison is the James Madison Inn. We stayed here when looking at the area for a relocation and loved it. There is a restaurant right behind the Inn called Town 220 and it was quite good. I really enjoyed the lamb there. Athens is a pretty cool town in the university area, we go there fairly often. Enjoy!

4. Re: Two to three days on Georgia stopover .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, July 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Athens