We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Which La Ceiba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 2
Currency

Going to The Palma Real Beach Resort in the next few weeks. Should we take Travellers cheques /cash/debt card? are there ATMs around/ banks?

Any suggestions?

We want the easiest and the safest.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Canada
11. Re: Currency

Heidi,

We have just returned from our trip to Palma Real. There were MANY who fell prey to the same symptoms that you speak of. BUT I also have spoken to MANY who have recently travelled. IE Grenada, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica. EVERYONE has had a bout of travellers diarrhea. Some worse than others.

We had our turn. We tried to fend off without meds but we had several tours booked we took our Cipro and within 12 hours felt 100% better.

In a handout from the Dr office this is not a new thing. Much of it originates from ICE CUBES as well as other sources! We stopped using ice and we were fine the remainder of the trip. Continued to eat salads as well as all the foods offered.

We returned home and we have to admit it has been one of the BEST trips we have had so far.

We were in the La Caribe section and EVERYONE said NOT to go there, we loved it.

Quiet, clean, no bugs, lots of towels and hot water.

The walk to the restaurant - you walk on the beach everyday - big deal.

We realized this was not a glitzy resort. It is a thrid world country! The women still do the laundry IN THE RIVER! SMany homes have no hydro or running water!

Unfortunately many of the people that wrote in have criticized this place, TOO BAD as it was a wonderful place to visit!

Waterloo, Canada
reviews: 1
12. Re: Currency

Hi Krismas

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear you had a good time .. we did too! I agree it is a country to see. In fact, our next trip is to Costa Rica but I will not travel without Cipro! We continue to suffer gastro problems,

8 weeks after our trip. I have another test next Thursday. A man from Honduras has suggested that it may be ameobas. Heidi

Canada
13. Re: Currency

Heidi,

We have returned after two weeks and we had a wonderful time.

We did end up using the cipro I packed. It helped after one dose.

After returning, I came across a pamplet at the doctors office on a product called dukoral - for travellers diarrhea. It shows the areas that have complaints. Honduras does not stand alone.

I think, as had been mentioned in another post, that any change in eating habit can be a culpret.

We ate "street food" when we visited Thailand and had no concerns. Mexico, I had problems and Honduras. I would still go back if the opportunity came along.

Cambridge, Ontario...
reviews: 1
14. Re: Currency

Hi krismas...

Just an FYI from a personal experience; both my friend and I took Dukoral prior to our trip to Honduras, and it appeared to have no affect at all. The Cipro on the other hand, worked like a charm. I think Dukoral is fairly limited in terms of what it will treat, whereas Cipro covers a broader range.

Canada
15. Re: Currency

Imali,

You are correct in the Cipro/Dukoral statement.

I will stil continue to travel prepared with all my preventative items. As said before, if it is not used on the current trip it will be repacked and ready for the next!

"Be prepared" is my motto!

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
16. Re: Currency

Another thing that may be helpful to know is that some medications that would ususally be available only by prescription in the states are available off the shelf at the local supermercados. I don't know if it's particularly safe but the stuff we bought on Guanaja (recommended by the cashier as we were buying Gatorade & cupcakes) did the trick w/in a few hours. - - -I'm just mentioning it so that if you're stuck w/out meds you know that you can get "good stuff" w/out a prescription. Obviously this is a last resort but after my child vomited ALL OVER the Pizza Hut in Ceiba, we were willing to try anything!

ottawa, ontario
reviews: 4
17. Re: Currency

Hi there: we have just book out trip out of Toronto this morning. Leaving Feb. 9 for two weeks. Hope we don't get hit by the "tourista". Sounds like a wonderful place. 4 of us retirees going for 2 weeks.

18. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about La Ceiba