We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

Which Copan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

I will be traveling from San Pedro to Copan at night due to just missing the last Hedman bus. Due to time constraints I'd really like to start the day in Copan and have the full day. However, after reading the gov't website (…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1135.html), I am under the impression that I won't get 5 miles from San Pedro before I'm waved off the road by men with AK47's robbed, raped and shot.

Thoughts?

7 replies to this topic
Belize-Guatemala
reviews: 15
1. Re: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

San Pedro is a potentially dangerous place. Getting lost there at night could end badly. Crime in general in Honduras has increased in recent years.

Driving almost anywhere in Central America at night is a bad idea. Not just for security reasons, but there are more traffic hazards at night too...like vehicles with no lights, livestock, etc.

Very bad plan.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
2. Re: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

When does your flight land? If you're just barely missing the last Hedman bus, a timely private driver should get you to Copán before dark (6pmish). If you can't leave the airport until 4 or 5, I personally wouldn't do it, either.

Vancouver Island...
reviews: 34
3. Re: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

I've posted several times telling people that Honduras is safe to visit, and I don't expect you would be robbed.

But I wouldn't drive myself at night either.

For one thing, sections of the road - especially the last 90 minutes into Copan - are potholed and worse. In the daytime, you can go slowly, but at night it would be a difficult drive. There are few signs and it would be a generally unpleasant experience (unless you're a veteran Latin America driver).

How any of you are there, and what's your budget? If there are two or three people, a private driver might be affordable. You could factor in the fact that you would likely be substituting a cheaper hotel in Copan for one in San Pedro Sula, and that would help justify the cost.

Have a great visit.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
reviews: 193
4. Re: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

i would follow hopefulist advise and hire a driver, much more chance of you wrecking the car due to pot holes than being the victim of crime. the reality is that 95% of serious crimes in honduras are drug related, as a tourist you'd be just as likely to be a victim of crime in miami or chicago as honduras.

MO
5. Re: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

Driving at night is no fun and not really worth it even though I've done it a few times. Once driving to Trujillo a bridge was out on the paved road and had to drive about 50 km on a bad gravel road with only one headlight and dust so thick I couldn't see 10 ft and nearly hit more than 1 cow in the road. Another time driving to Gracias it got dark on me before even getting to Santa Rosa. The road to Gracias has lots of twists and turns and I hit so many car swallowing potholes I'm surprised I didn't bend a rim. I'd picked up a couple of hitch hikers just past the turnoff from S.R. and I think my driving was scaring the crap out of them. They couldn't wait to get out. Driving at night is NOT recommended.

Copan Ruinas...
reviews: 93
6. Re: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

Most locals and very few buses make trips at night. Not so much due to poor security/crime concerns but more due to poor road conditions, ie pot holes, curvy roads, animals in roads, lack of illumination on roads, lack of signs, etc.

San Salvador, El...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night

I think, the message is clear...dont drive at night in Honduras. Especially on highways. Potholes, cows and horses standing on the middle of the road, thieves, corrupt policemen...etc, etc...

Reply to: Drive from San Pedro to Copan at night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted