We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honduras questions

Which Copan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Albert, Canada
reviews: 64
Honduras questions

My husband and I will be traveling to Honduras just after Xmas and have 14 days available to us. How many days should we stay in Copan area? Can we take a trip to Tikal from here? Where else should we go in Honduras and area? What is the best way to travel from town to town?

Tegucigalpa...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Honduras questions

Between cities, I would only take first class buses such as Viana. Near Copan, Santa Rosa de Copan and Gracias may be worth a visit. Also, the north coast or Bay islands.

Vancouver Island...
reviews: 35
2. Re: Honduras questions

Definitely fly into San Pedro Sula. It's much easier and faster to travel anywhere in Honduras from there than Tegucigalpa. The best way to get around is the Hedman Alas bus service. Secure, comfortable, reliable. They have website so you can look at schedules.

The islands - Utila and Roatan - are great.

Copan has a reasonable amount to do - the ruins, a good bird park, horseback riding, hot springs. Three or four nights would be perfect.

We've also liked Tela. Nice beach and Garifuna Tours offers some good activities.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
3. Re: Honduras questions

I think Copán is worth at least 3 nights. The area around La Ceiba has some wonderful hiking, waterfalls, rafting, kayaking, and horse trips; we loved Omega Lodge.

www.omegatours.info

Copán to Tikal is possible but will take at least a day each way coming and going. With just 2 weeks I'd stick to 1 country.

The Bay Islands are the most popular stop - beaches, snorkeling, and diving among other things. Without knowing your interests it's impossible to know what to recommend.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

WelingtonNZ
reviews: 13
4. Re: Honduras questions

Flying into San Pedro Sula, I would allow 2-3 days in Copan, closeish to there you could then head to Gracias & visit the surrounding area & lenca villages. Heading back to SPS you could then spend a few days in La Ceiba as suggested byt Hopefulist there is a lot to do around there & also Sambo Creek or on the way to La Ceiba stop off in Tela for a couple of days. Lago Yajoa is also a nice area with the lake itself & national parks. Stick to Honduras. I wouldnt plan an itineary to strictly as you may really like to explore an area more fully once there or once you have talked to locals/travellers. Buses other then Hedman Alas are frequent & will give you more flexibility to just turn up (e.g to SPS bus Station) & catch something heading where you want to go that way you are not stuck to H A scheule. In SPS there is the nearby national park cusuco which is definately worth a visit. A great place to stay in SPS is La Hamaca hostel who have a wealth of knowledge & ideas about where/what to visit in their country

Copan Ruinas...
reviews: 117
5. Re: Honduras questions

Three nights in Copan is a good amt ... that will give you time for the main ruins site, Sepulturas Site, the new Rastrajon site, Sculpture Museum, 2 photo exhibits from The Peabody Collection as well as 2 smaller village museums, a 4 hr trip to the hot springs, Macaw Mtn Bird Park, horseback ride and time to stroll the village of Copan and soak in the village vibe. It will be a busy 3 nights - but all this can be fit in.

From Copan - Tikal it is an all day trip on public buses.

Honduras does not offer tourist shuttles so you will rely on 1st class buses such as Hedman Alas as well as the occasional 2nd class bus.

6. Re: Honduras questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 28, 2014