We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling in Utila

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 4
Snorkelling in Utila

Where are the best places I can get to without hiring a boat?

TIA - R.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
1. Re: Snorkelling in Utila

Utila isn't like Roatán where you can just walk out from the beach in dozens of locations. The town part of the island doesn't have beach and much of the rest of the island is only accessible by boat. Here's our favorite shore accessible snorkeling spot (recopied from my response to another of your questions):

Snorkeling from shore is available but you really have to look for it. If you can find the area near the Airport Caves dive sites, it's the best we've found. You have to walk across the bridge and down the road toward the old airport area; when the road curves to the left, go with it, then be looking for an opening on the right to cut between houses or through a lot with a partially built home. High tide makes it easier to get through the reef to the outside.

Utila
reviews: 12
2. Re: Snorkelling in Utila

There are a couple of beautiful places to snorkel on Utila that can be accessed by walking:

1) Across from the Coral View Hotel there is a public dock that has wonderful snorkeling however be careful not to go out more than 10 feet from the reef's drop off as boats do go along that path. It is almost to the end of the road going west out of town.

2) Paradise Cove is located on the East side of the island and has wonderful snorkeling if there is not an East Wind (today it is like a big bathtub!). Go along the iron shore on both sides of the Cove and you can see amazing schools of fish, Morey Eels, turtles, squid, Barracuda, etc. Simply walk East, over the bridge and keep following the road East. You will come to the Cove after about 1 1/2 - 2 miles on your left. There is a nice sandy walking with just a few smooth rocks.

My wife and I have lived here on Paradise Cove for 8 years and never find it boring to snorkel here on Utila!

Maryland
reviews: 1
3. Re: Snorkelling in Utila

We've stayed in Paradise cove twice (with Roger hosting) and a tthe other end as well. In both the snorkeling was great but it is not easy getting out. We are divers and always bring our own boots and fins. The key is to bring very thick soled boots. We've never checked to see if the dive shops have open heeled fins but if so you would only have to bring the boots. You can get fins and boots for under $50.00 if youi want to buy your own. This has allowed us to get in without too much trouble with the rocks and sea urchins.

As stated above, in Paradise cove we've seen morays, grouper (out at the entrance), squid and everything else Roger mentions. On the West side you can go in at the very west end of the public beach and swim west to Coral View Hotel. There is a great drop off that you will want to stay right on top of so you limit the chances of having a boat hit you. While snorkeling there I always had a blow up buoy that I tied to myself just to be safer. There's an amazing amount of fish and even some "rock caves" that nurse sharks will call home sometimes. As you get closer to the hotel the schools of fish become more plentiful.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
reviews: 198
4. Re: Snorkelling in Utila

if you look at the opposite end of the island the southwest end of utila and the utila cays you'll have great snorkeling 10ft off the beach and miles of empty beaches. however if you stay at that end of the island your eating out and night life options shrink.

Juneau AK
reviews: 6
5. Re: Snorkelling in Utila

Thank you for posting this information. I am going to Utila in Feb., mostly to snorkel. I'm staying near the Coral View Hotel because I heard there was good snorkeling there and town is still reachable for restaurants, etc. It had not occurred to me that boat traffic might be a concern, so now I know!

6. Re: Snorkelling in Utila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Utila