We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dousman, Wisconsin
reviews: 6
Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

We are traveling to Utila via San Pedro Sula in February. When checking the US State Dept. for travel requirements to Honduras I came across a mention of Honduras requiring proof of measles and rubella vaccination from those traveling from North America. Does anyone know if this is true and, if so, what kind of proof do we provide?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
reviews: 192
1. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

i don't believe its true, i've flown into san pedro sula on my way to utila at least ten times in the last three years and have never been asked for this, nor has anyone else that i know.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
2. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

I agree - it wasn't required in July when we last came and went.

Dousman, Wisconsin
reviews: 6
3. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

Thanks for your replies. The State Dept. site said it was as of May 2011 that it was required but if it wasn't needed in July then I guess it isn't enforced.

Utila-Bay Islands
reviews: 4
4. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

Interesting that you saw a post from State Dept site saying it was needed. We have not heard anything of it down here in the islands. I flew back in October and it never came up. If anyone hears different of it being enforced, please let us know, but up to now, no one has been asked that we know of.

To fly in, they do check your passport though at the USA airport to make sure it has at least 6 months validation still left. So be sure to check that- a few folks have been turned away from their flights if they didn't meet this requirement.

Laurel Highlands
5. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

We just got back from getting immunizations today. This is posted on the US State Department website but I can't find it on any other sites: "The Honduran government issued a declaration in May 2011 requiring proof of measles and rubella vaccination for all foreign travelers from North America, Europe, Africa, Argentina, Chile, and Brazil. Vaccination against Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Typhoid is strongly recommended for those traveling to Honduras from the United States."

I will only have the first of the two-part MMR immunization before our trip. My husband only has to have one shot since he was born before 1957. They assume everyone before then had the diseases already.

Can't seem to find out any more. I'm concerned as our trip is less than 1 month away & it will be too soon to get the second shot before.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
6. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

We've visited Honduras 4 times in the last 6 or 7 years including last summer (July 2011) and no one has ever asked for immunization proof of any kind. Have a great trip!!

Laurel Highlands
7. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

Thank you so much for your reply. That makes me feel better!

8. Re: Is proof of measles and rubella vaccination required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, May 24, 2013