We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to utila

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Viejo de...
reviews: 23
getting to utila

Help please! we are headed to Utila in a couple of weeks and are having much difficulty actually getting to the island. We're flying into San Pedro Sula and need advice as to best getting to Utila. Treetop hop, air charter, taxi/bus to La Ceiba?

Any info and good/bad experiences about travel from San Pedro to Utila would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

larry & debbie

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
reviews: 197
1. Re: getting to utila

taca has a 2.30pm flight (i think its on mon, wed & fri) to utila via la ceiba, gets you to utila around 4pm. there's also a ferry from la ceiba to utila that leaves around 4pm if you can only get a flight from san pedro sula to la ceiba. if you get stuck in la ceiba i recommend the quinta real hotel on the beach. i'd recommend you contact alice at world wide travel on utila she can book flights etc. for you (either commercial or a charter flight), alicewwtravel@yahoo.com

i own a home on utila (and chicago) and have done the trip dozens of time, be prepared for anything , be flexible and enjoy the adventure.

ps. getting back to san pedro sula always seems easier & i've rarely had problems.

pps. where are you staying, need recommendations ?

Puerto Viejo de...
2. Re: getting to utila

we'll be at the mango inn. have you or anyone else ever rented a car from san pedro to la ceiba?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
reviews: 197
3. Re: getting to utila

i've taken a taxi several times (takes about 3 hours) the standard flat rate fare is $120.

Puerto Viejo de...
4. Re: getting to utila

thanks, this does look like the best way for us to go, appreciate the help!

Utila
5. Re: getting to utila

Hey guys, I just saw your info request and as I've been living here for 10 years on Oct 8th, I'm a PADI IDC Staff Instructor and hold all PADI, DAN, IANTD, NSS-CDS Instructor Certifications and have officially logged over 4,000 dives here in the Bay Islands .... I figure I can give you guys some helpful advise!

First off; you've done all the right moves by staying at the Mango Inn and diving with Utila Dive Center UDC. If you are flying into San Pero Sula, what we try to arrange is our personal driver with one of his new vans to pick guests up at the airport and bring them directly to La Ceiba ($120 US for van trip total,not per person). The reason is safety and convenience, costs less that commuter flights that are also unpredictable + you know all your luggage is going to make it. Do not recommend using a taxi!Depending on your arrival time into SPS will determine whether or not you can make the ferry, Utila Princess II, for the 1 hour trip to Utila. It departs every day from La Ceiba at 9:30 AM and 4 PM. It takes 2 1/2 hours from SPS to the ferry dock. If you can't meet the PM trip, then I recommend you overnight at the La Quinta Hotel until tha AM trip.

Need any more info, my easiest contact is at philarichard@hotmail.com or cell 011(504)3396-6954

Best Regards, Utila Phil

6. Re: getting to utila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 01, 2009