We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is the airfare so expensive to Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, virginia
reviews: 3
Why is the airfare so expensive to Roatan

Can anyone please explain to me why airfare to Roatan is so darn expensive? I am looking at going to Roatan in the near future and every time I look into airfare it is always $700 or greater, on a rare occasion it is between 600-700, and this is from Washington DC! I have flown to Belize for $450 and to Costa Rica for $375. Does anyone know when the cheapest flights to the island are? I see the direct flights go through Houston. Anyone have success at getting a reasonabe price on airfare to Roatan? Gracious!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
1. Re: Why is the airfare so expensive to Roatan

luvAuzzies:

Hi:

Can't help you with your questions but I thought I'd add some info.

From Toronto AI package to:

Fantasy Island Resort is about $1300 canadian

Anthony's Key Resort is about $1800 canadian

So it sounds real expensive from your end. We were surprised that Roatan was not more expensive than it actually is.

We are going to Curacao in March 07 for diving and snorkelling and its $1800 AI for one week.

So its comparable, depending what resort your staying at.

Taly

San Pedro Sula
reviews: 9
2. Re: Why is the airfare so expensive to Roatan

Luz,

There are direct flights from Miami with Taca on Sundays i think...... maybe Delta has one.. but not sure.

Try checking the price into San Pedro Sula... and then buying a ticket r/trip from www.flyislena.com costs $161 from San Pedro Sula.

New Jersey
reviews: 2
3. Re: Why is the airfare so expensive to Roatan

There is a flight on Saturdays from Atlanta to Roatan on Delta. Just returned from Roatan on Saturday/Sunday.Continental will be having direct flights from Newark NJ to Roatan from sometime in December to sometime in March(I guess it's a trial type thing) As for the price, it is very expensive when you compare it o other places. We go to Cancun a couple times a year and the most we've ever paid for that is $400. We did just price flights to Roatan for next May and got prices around $500. So that isn't bad.

If you are a diver the price will be worth it if you can afford it. We had a fabulous time and as a bonus we got to snorkel with a whale shark while we were there. It was fabulous....soo cool.We stayed at Anthony's Key Resort.

La Ceiba, Honduras
4. Re: Why is the airfare so expensive to Roatan

Luv -

I understand that Honduras charges some of the highest landing fees in Central America and that factor reflects in ticket prices. As others have indicated, there are direct flights from Atlanta via Delta, Miami via TACA and from Houston via Continental to Roatan. Prices do drop off season on all fares.

If you can find a good price to San Pedro Sula (sometimes American runs fare sales) you can save some money. The price on the local flight has gone to $192 which has to be factored in.

Good luck.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

5. Re: Why is the airfare so expensive to Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 20, 2009