We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping your Dive Shop

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 15
Tipping your Dive Shop

It has been on my mind since I have returned from Roatan, how much is a respectable amount to tip the dive crew. The Captain, the Helpers, the Dive Master...

Myself and my wife dove twice a day for 8 days. There are at least 3 if not 4 crew members on each trip. The service was excellent. How much should we give for the both of us, each day, to each crew member?

Dont make up an amount, or say what you can afford. I want first hand opinions from those that dive Roatan. Tips could be greater than the cost of the dive!

I thought we gave enough, but I want to know what others are giving! Please be honest!

14 replies to this topic
Roatan, Honduras
reviews: 19
11. Re: Tipping your Dive Shop

The majority of the DM's and instructors on Roatan are not on salary. They live off their tips. Same thing with waiters, waitresses, barmaids, etc. So, even though I live on the island, I still tip at least 20%, often more. Oh, and even though you think you are giving a specific DM a tip, it all goes into the tip jar at the end of the day to be spread evenly for everyone who works at the dive shops (except the owners).

Prague, Oklahoma
reviews: 3
12. Re: Tipping your Dive Shop

Three of us did two tank dives in one day. Divemaster and crew were excellent. Tipped $40.

Fort Lee, New Jersey
reviews: 3
13. Re: Tipping your Dive Shop

My wife and I both tip $10.00 per day or $5.00 per dive each. We make it known with the crew that we plan to dive all week and settle up at the end. I prefer to handle it this way so I don't carry money on the boat.

Toronto
reviews: 23
14. Re: Tipping your Dive Shop

We usually do the 2 morning dives and tip $20 for the 2 of us. A couple times a week we'll give the captain $10 as well. We like to tip daily because we don't always get the same DM and we like them to know that we appreciated the dive. We have a small waterproof wallet but on occasion the bills will be a bit damp but we've never had any complaints!

Reply to: Tipping your Dive Shop
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations