We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Items to Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toledo, OH
Bringing Items to Roatan

We're traveling to Roatan with our 2-year-old son and we were hoping to bring lots of snacks for him since we're not sure how often food will be available and if he'll choose to eat it. I haven't traveled internationally since I was in HS, so I was wondering if there are any restrictions on types of food brought into the country. Thanks for any help!

Roatan, Honduras
1. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Uunless your bringing in snacks like raw meat and such there is nothing to be concerned with

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 24
2. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Unless something has changed at the airport in Roatan since 2011 getting through customs is pretty casual. I think you'll be just fine bringing any snacks that your little boy favors. I doubt you are feeding him raw meat so as Kam M. says you should be ok!!! Is there still that thing about fruit? Just eat it on the plane. I have discovered so many bananas/apples that I have stuck in my carry on bag to eat on the plane that made it into the next country because I forgot about them that I should be in contraband fruit prison by now. The last time I was in Roatan in 2011 the X-ray machine that you have to put your luggage through once you claim it looked like it was made out of the box that a refrigerator came in ..... sometimes the guy watching what is going through the machine is watching sometimes he is talking to a nearby buddy...so bring whatever snacks you want. And have fun.

Toledo, OH
3. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Thanks! Fruit was one thing I was curious about; the child can literally eat a pint of blueberries in a day. I'll bring some for the plane and purchase stuff for the trip once we get there.

Roatan
reviews: 13
4. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

No, you are not supposed to bring fruit into the country.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 103
5. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

you really don't have to break the law on this one... apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, watermelon, cataloupe (really good ones!) - all sorts of fruits at the grocery store... the rules about not bringing fruit and meat into the country are primarily related to the possibility of bringing in non-native pests... who knows what little bug might be hiding in your blueberry that could decimate the noni fruits on the island?

Toledo, OH
6. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Thanks so much! I'm sure they'll have much better fruit than what we have in Ohio right now :)

Burlington, Canada
7. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

Canteloupes, Pineapples, Bananas, Oranges....not much else...and all this is imported. Maybe you can claim ignorance and smuggle some blueberries in. I guarantee you could get them through customs!!! I've never seen them search a bag????

Roatan, Honduras
8. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

I have sen the search the occasional bag but as mentioned, blueberries or pretty much any other fruit would not be an issue. I would not pack too many watermellons though

ont
reviews: 37
9. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

been searched last 2 times to enter roatan but i bring items that are not in orginal containers so stuff in ziplock and plastic wear seems to be a trigger

Burlington, Canada
10. Re: Bringing Items to Roatan

What about a hollowed out teddy bear to stash the blueberries in.